Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2011 08:00

Fan turning on constantly - How to diagnose?

Just last night, the fan and the venting system of my Alienware is turning on more frequently than normal. My computer isn't doing anything power/graphic intensive.

How can I figure out what is causing this?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 12th, 2011 09:00

jaximflash,

Did you make any changes in the Command Center before you noticed this?

28 Posts

May 12th, 2011 09:00

no, I never change the control center. It's set to be controlled automatically.

I did notice one peculiar thing. When the fan is acting up, the system fan is being reported as running at 0 RPM. (Though the system fan is reporting this even when the fans are not on.) I'm not sure if this is suppose to happen.

Is there a way to determine within the control center what is causing the fans to turn on? Is there a certain temperature that one of the sensors needs to be reached before causing the fan to turn on? Is it possible one of the sensors is malfunctioning? (Perhaps there is dust?)

thanks!

:-)

23 Posts

May 12th, 2011 17:00

I did notice one peculiar thing. When the fan is acting up, the system fan is being reported as running at 0 RPM. (Though the system fan is reporting this even when the fans are not on.) I'm not sure if this is suppose to happen.

Do you notice that the system states that the 'CPU pump failed' briefly, when the RPM of the fan goes off?

4 Posts

July 23rd, 2011 23:00

I'm having this problem too recently. When my fan is very loud the Thermal controller says the SYSTEM FAN is 0 RPM and the CPU PUMP as FAILED.  When the fan isnt very loud and back to normal the SYSTEM FAN is at a few hundred RPM and the CPU PUMP says RUNNING.  

1 Message

May 25th, 2012 23:00

I'm curious too. My fan is always running even though I'm not doing much.

I am curious, how do I check what you are talking about? System fan is at 0 RPM...

How do you know that?

Pump?

No Events found!