Highlighted
Mamypouet
1 Nickel

Forget R1 users ?

Hello !

I was really disapointed to see that you made new optimus drivers for M11X R2 and R3 users with 285.62 drivers , but how about us , M11X R1 users ?

I'd be SO glad to have real switchable graphics with my M11X without having to get them from Nvidia website , and setting bios in Discrete mode , and lost the IGPU , the reason i bought that laptop ...

Can you , please , update the drivers for M11X R1 users ? At least , can you say if thoses drivers are being develop and will apear in a near future ?

The whole M11X R1 community would thank you to do so.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
36 Replies

Re: Forget R1 users ?

Did you test the 285.62 driver to see if it would install on the R1 with the GT335 graphics card?

0 Kudos
Mamypouet
1 Nickel

No i didn't , but i'm sure it will not work. R1 is different from R2 / R3 : R1 have switchable graphics ( one touch on the keyboard to choose between two ) where R2-R3 have the Optimus technology , wich switch automaticaly.

Adding the fact that , if they work , why aren't they appear on R1 driver list ?

Can you try to get some informations on thoses drivers , and if switchable are in developement right now ?

We need thoses drivers so we can play BF3 , and even with other games , thoses drivers are giving something like 10 more FPS on some games , wich is HUGE ! And we don't want to choose between Switchable with battery life and low perf , or high perf but no Integrated graphics.

Please , it's not an 10 years old computer , it's a high end notebook i bought brand new 8 months ago and is already out of date for more than 6 month ...

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
ADHurt
1 Nickel

Just a quick note to agree with the OP.

Has Dell forgoten about the m11x R1?

I would love to play BF3 on it, but the driver issue.  Please release updated drivers for the R1!

0 Kudos
Alkatraz
1 Copper

I did test it and it wouldn't work.  I called dell tech support and they wanted to charge me 129 dollars to tweak the driver to work on the R1. The driver for the r2 and r3 wont work either

0 Kudos
Mamypouet
1 Nickel

First , i would like to say : DELL IS A SHAME.

I mean , which compagny charges the customer to get DRIVERS update ? Seriously.

Then , if the only thing Dell need for the WHOLE M11x community is 129$ , let's get gather them. But that anyway.

0 Kudos
amd117
1 Copper

that guy would just charge you that and tell you to disable the switchable graphics in the bios then install the nvidia drivers.

after the terrible driver support for the r1, i'd never buy another alienware laptop and go with a different brand [MSI, asus, acer, sager], which is exactly what ive been recommending to people who ask

its like you make a gaming laptop and ditch supporting it

0 Kudos
blackcatworld
1 Nickel

Dell Alienware are. The idea is great, but implementation is awful. No way to upgrade, awful hinges. I spent monthes without my m11x and recieved it back with broken hinge. They decided that I broke it. No possibility to chnge GPU and CPU (buy new model and throw away old one) and you should explore their implementation to make new drivers work.

Acually they use Nvidia SLI technology to switch cards (nvBridge_int.kmd module). They could make a special "update" to install intel GPU drivers, hotkey switching service and apply correspondent modules for switching via SLI. But I think they hate their users too much to do such a bonus.

0 Kudos
blackcatworld
1 Nickel

There is a workaround.

1. Switch video to switchable graphics in BIOS
  2. Install official alienware M11x R1 video drivers (263.08, A02) and restart.
  3. Switch to NVIDIA discrete video card via hotkey
  4. Install new 285.65 NVIDIA drivers from NVIDIA site
  5. Restart and switch card to descrete in BIOS. Wait all drivers are installed.
  6. Go to Windows\system32\ and run the following as administrator
igfxsrvc.exe -install
igfxtray.exe

7. Restart and switch card back to switchable in BIOS
8. When windows starts it will enable Intel GPU, then it will switch it to NVIDIA GPU by itself and start search drivers again.
9. DONE

You will not be able to switch cards from tray but it will be possible by hotkey Fn+F6

P.S. 285.65 doesn't contains nvBridge.kmd, so there is no need to replace it. But for earlier versions you need to replace it by extracted nvBridge_int.km_ file from A02 drivers. All these actions could be done by alienware dell department by simple setup.

P.S.S. I guess  I missed something cause tray icon doesn't show radio button to switch cards.

0 Kudos
Mamypouet
1 Nickel

Oh , thanks.

WIll try this !

0 Kudos