Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2011 08:00

Forget R1 users ?

Hello !

I was really disapointed to see that you made new optimus drivers for M11X R2 and R3 users with 285.62 drivers , but how about us , M11X R1 users ?

I'd be SO glad to have real switchable graphics with my M11X without having to get them from Nvidia website , and setting bios in Discrete mode , and lost the IGPU , the reason i bought that laptop ...

Can you , please , update the drivers for M11X R1 users ? At least , can you say if thoses drivers are being develop and will apear in a near future ?

The whole M11X R1 community would thank you to do so.

Thank you in advance

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 7th, 2011 12:00

Did you test the 285.62 driver to see if it would install on the R1 with the GT335 graphics card?

5 Posts

November 8th, 2011 02:00

No i didn't , but i'm sure it will not work. R1 is different from R2 / R3 : R1 have switchable graphics ( one touch on the keyboard to choose between two ) where R2-R3 have the Optimus technology , wich switch automaticaly.

Adding the fact that , if they work , why aren't they appear on R1 driver list ?

Can you try to get some informations on thoses drivers , and if switchable are in developement right now ?

We need thoses drivers so we can play BF3 , and even with other games , thoses drivers are giving something like 10 more FPS on some games , wich is HUGE ! And we don't want to choose between Switchable with battery life and low perf , or high perf but no Integrated graphics.

Please , it's not an 10 years old computer , it's a high end notebook i bought brand new 8 months ago and is already out of date for more than 6 month ...

Thank you very much

4 Posts

November 8th, 2011 10:00

Just a quick note to agree with the OP.

Has Dell forgoten about the m11x R1?

I would love to play BF3 on it, but the driver issue.  Please release updated drivers for the R1!

1 Message

November 10th, 2011 21:00

I did test it and it wouldn't work.  I called dell tech support and they wanted to charge me 129 dollars to tweak the driver to work on the R1. The driver for the r2 and r3 wont work either

5 Posts

November 12th, 2011 08:00

First , i would like to say : DELL IS A SHAME.

I mean , which compagny charges the customer to get DRIVERS update ? Seriously.

Then , if the only thing Dell need for the WHOLE M11x community is 129$ , let's get gather them. But that anyway.

2 Posts

November 13th, 2011 20:00

that guy would just charge you that and tell you to disable the switchable graphics in the bios then install the nvidia drivers.

after the terrible driver support for the r1, i'd never buy another alienware laptop and go with a different brand [MSI, asus, acer, sager], which is exactly what ive been recommending to people who ask

its like you make a gaming laptop and ditch supporting it

November 15th, 2011 15:00

Dell Alienware are. The idea is great, but implementation is awful. No way to upgrade, awful hinges. I spent monthes without my m11x and recieved it back with broken hinge. They decided that I broke it. No possibility to chnge GPU and CPU (buy new model and throw away old one) and you should explore their implementation to make new drivers work.

Acually they use Nvidia SLI technology to switch cards (nvBridge_int.kmd module). They could make a special "update" to install intel GPU drivers, hotkey switching service and apply correspondent modules for switching via SLI. But I think they hate their users too much to do such a bonus.

November 16th, 2011 11:00

There is a workaround.

1. Switch video to switchable graphics in BIOS
  2. Install official alienware M11x R1 video drivers (263.08, A02) and restart.
  3. Switch to NVIDIA discrete video card via hotkey
  4. Install new 285.65 NVIDIA drivers from NVIDIA site
  5. Restart and switch card to descrete in BIOS. Wait all drivers are installed.
  6. Go to Windows\system32\ and run the following as administrator
igfxsrvc.exe -install
igfxtray.exe

7. Restart and switch card back to switchable in BIOS
8. When windows starts it will enable Intel GPU, then it will switch it to NVIDIA GPU by itself and start search drivers again.
9. DONE

You will not be able to switch cards from tray but it will be possible by hotkey Fn+F6

P.S. 285.65 doesn't contains nvBridge.kmd, so there is no need to replace it. But for earlier versions you need to replace it by extracted nvBridge_int.km_ file from A02 drivers. All these actions could be done by alienware dell department by simple setup.

P.S.S. I guess  I missed something cause tray icon doesn't show radio button to switch cards.

5 Posts

November 19th, 2011 09:00

Oh , thanks.

WIll try this !

2 Posts

November 19th, 2011 12:00

much much thanks man!

November 21st, 2011 05:00

My bad... sorry

- I've found that for 285 I cannot switch back to discrete card and you can do it only for switching to Intel. When I press Fn+F6 It shows that system switches to perfomance mode but really it cannot do it. I suppose this heppens because of new structure of Nvidia card drivers and because they do not use bridge kmd module now. But I'm sure that this works for older versions with bridge module file (I tried it and used myself and swithing worked).

- Still you can switch to descrete card in BIOS and use it (after switching to Intel, the Nvidia device can be disabled in Device Manager - so enable it after went to Descrete BIOS mode).

- I'll try to find out what is responsible for sli cards support and how we can use it

Sorry again.

November 21st, 2011 16:00

And again. It still works for 285 drivers in switchable bios mode, but only once for each windows restart. It can switch video from intel to nvidia and back only one time, with both cards enabled in device manager. After restart intel gpu will be initiated even if nvidia was switched to before restart.

Still can be usefull. If I'll find the better way to enable both cards, I will share.

thanks

1 Message

December 23rd, 2011 09:00

If what this poster says is true, then this is just poor customer service and support.  We all payed a good amount of money and CHOSE this product, knowing full well that this is a unique laptop.  We also knew that Alienware is Dell's "supposed" best product line, which from our understanding should also be provided with their best service and support.  I mean Alienware is their flagship product. They want to charge us money to "fix" their drivers to work on their own product?  Well how bout I inform all my military buddies that their Dell and Alienware Deals are based on shoddy products that don't get the support they need, and we'll just start recommending other product lines?  I'm sure the next time someone asks me about my Mx11 R1 in Afghanistan (and they do a lot)  I'll point them into another direction and quote the above.  I'm sure MANY of our Military brothers and sisters will pass the word.  Support us is all I ask Dell...because our dollars support you.

5 Posts

January 4th, 2012 03:00

UP.

Stil no news from Dell ? R1 User needs real switchable updated drivers as it was sold , not crazy workaround to have it working half way.

Dell , Wake up please ! Will probably take 1h to your ingeneers to mod official drivers ...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 4th, 2012 14:00

Nvidia has dropped support for the Hybrid solutions. Because of their stance, there will not be anymore drivers that will support switchable graphics. What we did instead was add a bios option to choose Discrete only mode, then you can use any Nvidia driver.

No Events found!