Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2010 15:00

Front Audio Jacks w/ X-Fi Card

Hello.  My new Aurora is about two weeks old.  After it arrived I regretted my decision to just go with on-board sound and I just put in a Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro and disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS. My question is regarding the audio jacks at the front of the PC.  I assumed that I'd be able to use the existing cable that connected the front jacks to the motherboard, and just plug it into the sound card, however that cable isn't compatible (doesn't fit the pins on the card).

I'm just wondering if I'm now unable to use the front audio jacks at all, or if there's a different cable I'd be able to buy and if I'd be able to hook it up myself.  It's not a big deal as I don't often use the front jacks, but it'd be nice to have the option.

Thanks for any information.

3 Posts

July 17th, 2010 16:00

I figured it out.

Isn't it amazing how after you finally give up researching a problem and post a question on the forums you'll find the answer two seconds later?  The cable does fit the card - there's just some extra pins that are left empty.  It's even labeled "Front Port" right on the darn card.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 17th, 2010 18:00

It would be cool if you could post the part number and picture of your sound card for other users.

3 Posts

July 17th, 2010 19:00

The sound card is PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series, the SKU is 70SB088600002.

Here's a picture of the sound card with the cover plate removed where you can clearly see the connector.  The left side of it is labeled Front Panel, and all you do is use just that left side of the pins.  The other pins are used for the Creative X-Fi proprietary front panel bay.

8814.xfitit1.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 18th, 2010 15:00

Nice that AW and Creative followed the same wiring standard.

Is that a retail card or did you purchase it from Dell Spare Parts?

No Events found!