Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2015 09:00

GPU usage dropps to 0 while gaming.

i have this terrible problem where my gpu usage dropps to 0 and i am then unable to do anything in the game.. can also happen when im doing other things in windows but thats more of a rare occasion. 

i installed msi afterburner to keep an eye on what was wrong.. as i kept on having BSOD and thought computer was overheating.. turned out to be windows didnt like sleep mode..

anyone knows if there is anything i can do or is my card near death you think?

gpu.png

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 21st, 2015 15:00

Please confirm the model name and revision for your Alienware system. Also, what do you mean by Windows does not like sleep mode?

9 Posts

July 21st, 2015 16:00

i got the alienware x51 r2.

when ever i put the computer into sleep mode after starting the computer up again it takes anything from 3 minutes to 15 minutes and i end up with a BSOD. sometimes causing the computer to do repeated startup noises and shuts down same second.. as in start up for 1 sec - shut down for 1 sec- start back up for 1 sec- etc etc..

as long as i turn it off completely i do not get BSOD but if use sleep mode i get it 100% of the times i do.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 22nd, 2015 09:00

Hello,

Try to reinstall the video card drivers and also flash the Bios to the latest version. You can download the video card drivers and the Bios firmware from the Dell site. Click here for the link. 

9 Posts

July 25th, 2015 01:00

i did as suggested but now im experiences that the computer freezes rather then BSOD, and it still do its funny start up thing. it did improve my gaming quality so for that im very happy.. doesnt lagg at all now thank you :)

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 27th, 2015 14:00

Hi, 

I'm glad its performing better in the games. Its hard to say if the startup problem could be software related, there could be something wrong with the Windows boot files. When the system freezes, is it during a game or randomly? 

9 Posts

July 28th, 2015 01:00

its being a random freeze that is now resulting in auto restart.  could it be faulty memory?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 28th, 2015 14:00

Try running a PSA/Diagnostic test on the system. This test will check the ram and several other components. If you get an error code, please provide us with the error code. Click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run the test. 

9 Posts

July 29th, 2015 12:00

the computer passed the test without troubles.. on otherhand my friend told me to run memtest.. took 6 hours and came back with 500 error on test 13? something hammer test something.

still does not get it.. my computer keeps on shutting down :(

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 29th, 2015 16:00

Hi, 

You may have a program called Support Assist installed in your computer, this is a system checkup tool that has the option to run different tests on the hardware components. If you do not have it installed, click here for the download link. Once you open it, click on the Checkup option to the left and click where it says run custom scan, select the memory and then select the stress test option. This test could take several minutes , let us know if you receive any errors. 

9 Posts

August 1st, 2015 10:00

i have done the support assist in normal, express and specifik hardware and no errors.. 

today it took me 2 bsod to get into windows.

kmode exception not handled

and

driver irql not less or equal 

and yesterday

system service exception..

really no clue? all this only been going on for the past month.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 16:00

Hello, 

It could be software related. For that reason we recommend doing an Alien Respawn. This will restore the system to factory settings so make sure you back up your information first before doing this. Click here to view an article that explains how to run the Alien Respawn system recovery. 

No Events found!