Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2011 22:00

Games don't run on my M11X-R3

So I was an early purchaser of the M11x R3. Got it at the end of April, but I had to finish college work and only really started using it over the past month.  I've had serious problems with the M11x, and Dell support told me to post here.

I had two minors problems that I've taken care of. The first was that my service tag wasn't registered with Dell support for some reason. Secondly, the Bluetooth module on my M11x didn't work at all, but this was fixed last month after an hour (no lie) of searching led me to some obscure site not affiliated with Dell which had the correct driver, not the one provided by Alienware. Works great now.

The major problem I need help with is that my graphics card just doesn't seem to kick in for most games, meaning that they won't run at all. So far I've found that Team Fortress 2 works just fine. However, every time I load Civ V or Mass Effect 2, Windows just throws up a black screen until it gets the AppHang error and closes the program.

Civ V, ME2 and Steam are all set to run with my graphics card, given administrator privileges, and the computer is plugged in and on high performance. What is going wrong here? I've got half a mind to return this laptop. If a popular game which I expected to be compatible doesn't work out of the box, I'm sure this points to other issues in the future. How do I get these games to run?

August 4th, 2011 06:00

Hi there,

i have the same machine. Hang in there i will help you resolve your problems you are having.

Before we start could you please make sure that you download the updated drivers for the HD3000 and NV GT540M and the respective manufactures website

Once down try thr follwoing

CIV 5

There is a known issue with the Intro movie causing problems with the optimus devices and on some GPUs.

Try this

Go to "My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/"

Open the file "usersettings.ini"

Search for the option "SkipIntroVideo = 0" and change the 0 to a 1

There may be still a wait time before the game loads but this should still work

Let me know if this helps before we move on, if need be i will install steam and the games to test

let me know

cheers

INSERT COIN 1P

August 4th, 2011 06:00

For the Bluetooth

Remove / uninstall the device from device manager.

Download the DW375 Driver From the M14x and extract the driver file contents.

Two Ways which i have just tried and confirmed working

1. Run the Dell Self Extract and the it run and install. Once finished restart

2. Once extracted go to device manager -> Bluetooth Radios -> right click Dell Wireless 375 Bluetooth Module -> Update Driver Software.

Choose "Browse My computer for driver software" -> Browse to the extracted Dell BT Driver package  and select the win version -> then again let it update and finish.

Dont forget to restart

1 Message

August 5th, 2011 05:00

Thanks a ton. I just received my m11x r3 yesterday. Was facing this issue. Your solution really helped.

August 9th, 2011 17:00

Im glad i could help you out

Still let me know if you need me to check ME2

October 16th, 2011 14:00

Looks like ME2 was a temporary problem, works on its own now. Thanks for figuring out Civ 5 though, that's awesome.

2 Posts

April 1st, 2012 02:00

just got my mx11 r3 today..

your a genius.

thanx a ton!!!

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2012 05:00

So i have a problem maybe u can help?

i solved the issue that i had before with Civ 5 with the instruction that you gave but now after a while i didn't play the game and now its not entering when i open the game through steam. just like it did before.

plz help!

thnx

No Events found!