Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2010 17:00

Gaming/Power Issues

I have been having a weird issue with my M15x. When I play games like Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age and my power cord is plugged in my frame rates dramatically drop and in the case of ME2 it makes me unable to select things like doors and people. When I unplug the laptop I can immediately see the frame rates jump back up and with ME2 I can automatically select things. This leaves me unable to play any game for very long since I'm forced to run off my battery. I have tried changing my power settings to different ones and nothing has worked. I have even re-installed Windows 7 and my games and am still having the same issue.

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated as I am at my wits end with this.  Thank you.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 17th, 2010 06:00

D'oh! I was just notified that the M15x doesn't have the integrated video (like the M17x) so no wonder you do not see Hybrid Graphics.

While plugged in, press FN+F2 and enable battery charging. Test the game.

While plugged in, press FN+F2 and disable battery charging. Test the game.

35 Posts

March 15th, 2010 10:00

I would check AlienFusion to make sure "High Performance" is selected when the power cord is plugged in. It seems as though you've already done this, so I'm not exactly sure what else would cause this. It has to be a power setting.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 16th, 2010 06:00

If your in Hybrid Mode, open the Nvidia Hybrid SLI Graphics option in the taskbar. Make sure Boost Performance is selected.

Save power = Intel 9400M
Boost Performance = Nvidia 260M/280M

7 Posts

March 16th, 2010 09:00

I have the 240m Nvidia and don't see the Hybrid SLI graphics option. Is it the same for the 240m?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 16th, 2010 09:00

You have to reboot into Hybrid Mode.

* Restart the PC
* Press F2
* Bios- Advanced- Graphic Setting
* Change Hybrid Graphics to Enabled
* Press F10 to Save and Exit

7 Posts

March 16th, 2010 10:00

When I boot into the bios and look under advanced I don't see graphic setting. I see Intel Virtualization Technology/ Intel Speedstep/ Wired Network/ Wireless Network/ Bluetooth Receiver/ High Definition Sound/ USB Emulation/ SATA Operation/ eSATA and then under that I see the hard drive and optical drives. Under them I see performance options and in there I see turbo mode, the clock and voltage. Any ideas? I'll try anything!

Thanks for your time Chris I really appreciate you replying to this problem.

7 Posts

March 16th, 2010 13:00

Yes I am booting with the power adapter plugged in : (

7 Posts

I have tried now with it plugged in and with it unplugged and still no graphic setting option in the bios. Might I need to download a different bios? I've only had the laptop for less then two months and have never played with the bios so it is the original bios setup it came with.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

Are you booting up the the AC adapter connected?

7 Posts

March 17th, 2010 08:00

WONDERFUL!! That helps sooo much! I'm getting MUCH better frame rates! Now I'm up to at least 30FPS in the highest resolution or higher! I must have pressed it and disabled it at some point without knowing! Now when I'm plugged in I'm getting better frame rates then with it unplugged. That was the issue!

Yay for Chris!! Thank you Thank you! Xo Aarowen

No Events found!