Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 3rd, 2017 22:00

Graphic Amplifier & Nvidia 1080 drivers

I have an Alienware 17 laptop (R2 with 980m) and have obtained an AGA and an MSI Aero OC card.  Just cannot get the thing to be recognised/work at all - looks like the driver won't work and can't install properly with the error being that it's not recognised.  As a long term Alienware user (with three systems in play at present and looking at getting a possible fourth) I am hoping there's an easy solution and that it's not a case of $1000 down the drain with no driver support available.  Any advice on getting things running as they should would be great.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

January 4th, 2017 12:00

Hi,

Are you sure you are connecting the card properly inside the amplifier? Does it fit and close properly?

13 Posts

January 4th, 2017 15:00

Hi, yes.  

The card is seated well and the power cable (brown) connected.  The case is closed and closes properly.  I have installed the latest Nvidia driver (376.66) - but this will not work when the AGA is attached (in which case it errors with the driver not being compatible with the version of Windows (the laptop is running Win10).  When checking display adapters in devices (to see what GPU is active) when the AGA is attached, it detects the Intel HD Grahics 530 and 'VGA' but not the MSI Aero OC 1080 which is in the AGA.  If attempting to update the driver for the 'VGA' device, it starts to do so but then presents an error indicating it could not install the relevant driver.

There does not seem to be a way to have the laptop recognise the GPU/AGA and not sure how to get the relevant driver(s) - if that's the problem.

13 Posts

January 5th, 2017 22:00

Still cannot get the AGA recognized or MSI GTX 1080 OC to work. Tried reseating card. Checked power cabling is fine. Laptop graphics card works when AGA not connected. Anyone getting the same issue? I don't want to lose a chunk of money. Advice welcome.

3 Posts

January 6th, 2017 05:00

is this the sum total of your advice ?

Incredible . This forum is littered with posts about the AGA and problems with Nvidia and you lot ignore them !!! Why should people buy Dell and Alienware products when your support is so poor ?

I had already called for at least an acknowledgment of the problem and for a solution to be posted but still we wait and see absolutely nothing !!!

13 Posts

January 6th, 2017 14:00

I tried talking to a tech and all they could say was that maybe I should buy another graphics card and try that. And to wait for new drivers to see if that fixes the issue with the AGA. Not much help and, as a previously loyal Alienware user I'm left feeling hollow. I note some users have noted no issue, including some using the 1070 version of the same card so there has to be a solution (other than turning to other external graphics card options of other companies).

13 Posts

January 7th, 2017 21:00

Has anyone come across a solution to getting the AGA and card recognised? Card is seated properly. Power connector all good. Latest Nvidia driver on laptop. But AGA when connected just kicks to integrated graphics. Despite the sales blurb, the product isn't working with my 1080 card.

13 Posts

January 12th, 2017 13:00

I take it that nobody has any solutions other than buy a different card or 'wait' for Dell and/or Nvidia to release drivers.

No Events found!