Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2016 12:00

Graphics card 970M versus 970 Alienawre laptop

Hi

I'm new to PCs and not too technical so please forgive me. I just purchased an Alienware 17R2. I bough it to fun Oculus rift. By mistake I have chosen a graphics card which is 970m rather than 970. I didn't know the difference as I'm new to the world of PC. My question is, if I purchase the Alienware graphics amplifier, will this fix my problem I need to overcome?

Your kelp would be appreciated. P.s. I have 16gb of RAM too. Thanks

1.2K Posts

July 9th, 2016 09:00

well since you cant run a 970 in a mobile system like a laptop .. hense the 970(M) mobile card .. which i do ebelvie supports it...  the only way to run a full  size desktop card would be a amplifier but honestly i cant see why you cant run the game i ran ark survival with a 680M  just fine on my M18X R2 ... much older system and that game is demanding as can be... but at that point why get  an outdated card.. go for a 10 series desktop card for the amplifier and be done with it, but loose portability

July 11th, 2016 10:00

Hi Craig0158,

Correct, you should be able to run your Oculus rift with an amplifier with a Nvidia GTX 970 or better.

4 Posts

July 12th, 2016 05:00

Thank you. I have purchased this one before reading seeing your post but it seems the power connectors are not the same. This card has a 6 pin connection? www.pcworld.co.uk/.../asus-strix-geforce-gtx-970-graphics-card-10138128-pdt.html

My booster should arrive today at some point.

4 Posts

July 12th, 2016 11:00

Thanks again Kevin. The card i bought didn't fit (too high and wrong power connections)  Can i ask if could kindly send me a link of the card you mentioned that will fit please?

My apologies again, i'm new to this.

Craig

No Events found!