Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2016 19:00

HDD/SSD config using 2tb 2.5" for storage

So I have a 2.5" i want to use for storage. I want to put Windows 10 on m.2 slot 1. I updated my Bios to 06.  It seems I can only install OS on the ssd if I disconnect the 2tb. After loading windows I plug the storage drive back in and the bios or disk manager does not see that drive. Can someone help me configure the install manner for these drives. And will i have trouble adding more ssd later?

***17 r2***

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 17th, 2016 14:00

This is two separate, mostly un-related tasks.

1. Yes, connect only completely blank M.2-SSD as C: and install Win10-64bit clean-install. Nuke-and-Pave as we say. After First-Time-Setup, install any missing drivers and computer should be running at this point.

2a. Connect an old flash drive and make sure your USB ports are working for storage.

2b. Connect External-USB drive.

Does Windows even detect a new device?

Have you checked Control Panel/Admin Tools/ Storage to see if the USB-2tb drive needs to be Initialized?

August 19th, 2016 09:00

I dont know how I did this, but have two accounts here and I cant get back into this posting account. Thanx for your response Tesla, but I am not using a 2tb USB drive rather want to install the 2tb into the "Fixed HDD" of the unit. I read a post somewhere saying that cant use 2.5" and ssd together. But I have read some saying they have done it?

No Events found!