Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2015 20:00

HELP!!! Cannot get in to desktop mode.

Please help... I have had an Alienware alpha for a couple months now and I cannot get into desktop mode anymore. Today, I noticed that The HiveMind on screen keyboard popped up every time it saw a text box. I looked up how to disable it and it said to disable The HiveMind and Touch Screen services in my local services box. But after a shut down... I came home to a computer that would not go to the desktop mode and would say "Exit" instead of "Go to Desktop Mode". So I clicked on "Exit" and all it showed was a black screen. Please somebody help me!!! Is there a way to enable local services from the HiveMind Interface????

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 18th, 2015 08:00

Hello,

When you get the black screen after clicking on "Exit", try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete, look for the Sign Out option and click on it. This should take you to the initial screen where it shows the options for Desktop Mode and Console Mode, select Desktop mode and it should boot normally into the desktop.

If I'm not mistaken, this will continue to happen every time you restart the system unless you enable the HiveMind Interface service from the Service Control Manager again. This workaround for the virtual keyboard issue unfortunately causes the black screen issue in Desktop mode. We escalated the virtual keyboard issue and is currently under investigation. Just for the record, can you please confirm which Windows operating system you are running? 

2 Posts

August 18th, 2015 16:00

I have an Alienware Alpha running Windows 10 and I too get the black screen when I click on 'Go to Desktop'. Windows shows that it is Signing Out, but then it goes to that black screen. I can't get to the desktop. But I have not done anything with the virtual keyboard. The only other error I'm getting is that the Alienware FX doesn't load. I have updated all programs and drivers, but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

August 18th, 2015 17:00

Thank You, this workaround has worked. I am currently running Windows 8.1 fully updated and Alpha UI fully updated. 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 19th, 2015 13:00

Thank you very much for confirming that, I'm glad we could help.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 19th, 2015 13:00

Hi HaxMii,

What if you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete when you get the black screen, does anything come up?

2 Posts

August 21st, 2015 12:00

Hi,

I have a similar problem. (Alienware Alha with recently installed win 10).

When i start up the pc it automatically tries to connect to hivemind via the "Alpha Console" account, but doesn't find the password and I have no idea what the password is (I accedentally removed this account). I tried switching to my regular windows account, but opens hivemind when i log in. There is no option "go to desktop mode" and when I click exit a black screen appears. Since today I am not able to open the regular dekstop mode.

The function "ctrl+alt-del" works, but I don't know what to look for to solve the problem.

A little help would be appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 26th, 2015 15:00

Hi _B_Trsh,

You could try restoring your system to factory settings using Alien Respawn. This will delete all your data, so make sure to back up your data. You will be able to set up the Windows user account again after the restore completes. Click here to view a Dell article that explains how to restore your system to factory settings using Alien Respawn.

2 Posts

August 26th, 2015 23:00

Ctrol+Alt+Delete does not do anything. I did discover though that if I unplug the HDMI cable and then plug it back in it will show the log in screen. It appears that the system is attempting to send the signal to another video output. Yet, I don't have any other video output. It does have the HDMI input though. Is there any fix to this so I don't have to unplug and plug back in each time?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 27th, 2015 14:00

Did you also try doing an Alien Respawn? Are you sure you have the monitor set on the correct input source?

2 Posts

August 28th, 2015 08:00

Hi Rodrigo,

I did not restore the factory settings by using alien respawn as you suggested. I managed to get the desktop mode working again with the next steps:

1. open task manager when black screen appears (ctr+alt+del);

2. execute new task "explorer.exe" (this opened dekstop mode);

3. I reinstalled Hivemind UI (this was a mistake and made the problem worse. When I restarted the PC, it kept stuck on the "logging in" screen of Hivemind and I was not able to open task manager)

4. After a couple times of restarting and blind typing (screen did not react) "windows logo+R" + "explorer.exe." it opened desktopmode again;

5. I uninstalled Hivemind and restarted the system. Problem solved

I did not try the reinstal hivemind after this.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 28th, 2015 15:00

Hi, 

Thank you for sharing this with the Alienware Community. I'm glad you were able to fix the problem.

1 Message

November 11th, 2015 11:00

Hi all

Hivemind did a update a few days ago, and now the option of "Go To Desktop" changed to "Exit"

This bring up a black screen

I found a work round, but how do I get the option of  "Go To Desktop" back?

Windows 8.1

I7

8 GB

2TB

No Events found!