Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2015 10:00

HELP Discrete GPU: noise / clicking sound - Alienware 13

My brand new Alienware 13 works perfectly. Except when i run an application that activates the discrete graphics Nvidia GPU. As soon as it starts I begin to hear an irregular clicking sound. The sound is emerging from the top left corner.

It is possibly the left fan, but why would it only begin making noise, when the GPU is running?

I am not 100% sure it's a fan noise. It could possible be an electronic noise of some sort. It's sort of reminiscent to the sound a bad hard-drive makes, but my laptop has SSD (and it's located in the lower middle)

The laptop is running on an out of the box setup, with updates drivers.

I have attempted to open the case, and had a look inside, but could not see anything caught in the fan. 

Please help, the noise is both troubling and annoying , and I am generally very pleased with the product. it would be a shame to have to return it.

6 Posts

February 29th, 2016 03:00

I got Dell onsite, next day support to change the fan in a matter of minutes, and it was fixed. Its been more than half a year and no problems since.  

7 Posts

May 9th, 2016 08:00

It suddenly appeared that Dell has no international warranty (It was suggested to "transfer warranty", but this never works). Thus, having no Dell service in Russia (well, actually there's some kind of service there, but I have to drive 500 miles and wait for a couple of months), I won't get any help or repair.

Thus, I'm glad to let you guys know, that it's my last Alienware or Dell product and this one will be sold on local classifieds as soon as possible.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 23rd, 2015 14:00

Hello P0DDE,

It can be difficult at times to determine what can cause this type of noises. There is a test you can run to determine if the system may be experiencing a hardware problem. It’s known as the PSA/Diagnostic test which can be found in the boot menu.

Click here to view an article that explains how to run the test. Please try running this test first and let us know if you receive any error messages, if you do get errors, please provide us with the error code and the message for the failed component.

6 Posts

April 24th, 2015 01:00

I have run the extended diagnostics, and it came up with no errors.

The noise was only present during the CPU and GPU test, but they were fairly quick, so i was hard to determine which one (if not both) triggered it. 

The noise was also present during the Hurdle test in the Extended Test.

Any ideas what it could be? Or how to proceed?

April 24th, 2015 12:00

Hello p0dde,

Try this:

1- Go to our official website.

2- Click on Alienware Drivers and Applications.

3- Enter your Service Tag.

4- Download the latest BIOS and run the executable.

If the clicking noise doesn't stop, it could mean the system fan is faulty. In that case, you can send me a PM with your service tag.

6 Posts

April 25th, 2015 07:00

I have reinstalled the BIOS update A04 (17 Apr 2015)

Unfortunatly it didn't stop the noise / clicking sound?

April 25th, 2015 21:00

I think we need to replace the system fan.

Could you please send me your service tag through PM?

6 Posts

April 26th, 2015 08:00

Ok, I couldn't figure out how to PM, so I send a friend request, with the service tag in the request message. 

Does that require sending the laptop back and forth? Or can i get an on site technician to do it?

Thanks

April 28th, 2015 13:00

Hello p0dde,

Since you live in Denmark I'm not able to create an order for the service, I'm only able to create service orders for customers in the US and Canada.

I just sent an email to the Social media group in your region for them to contact you.

7 Posts

October 16th, 2015 08:00

I have exactly the same issue. Currently I'm in Utah, SLC.

3 Posts

February 28th, 2016 17:00

I have the same problem.  It is clearly the fan.  I called Dell Support and they created a support ticket.  This will take at least 5-10 days to solve!  I will probably bring the laptop back to Microcenter since I bought it just yesterday and ask for a replacement.  I guess it should be faster!

7 Posts

April 12th, 2016 13:00

That's great. I need to do the same while I'm in Salt Lake. Onsite fan replacement sounds like a best possible solution.

@Alienware team - can somebody help me with this or should I call to support to create corresponding ticket etc?

No Events found!