Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 15th, 2014 08:00

Hard drive on M15X and failed repair

Hi, having some problems with my M15X. During boot the windows diagnostic screen appears, i have run the programmes several times along with re-spawn and the error meesages appear to indicat a fault with the hard drive and then the tests just hang.

I read some other pages on the Dell forum and follwed some of the answers but still ended with the same issue.

I disconected the internal battery, powered down completely, removed the hard drive and noted the serial number. Now when powering up, the fans run and then the Num, Caps and Scroll keys all flash and i dont have anything on the screen.

I can purchase a replacement drive from Dell and i have the orginal OS and driver disc. Would/could these sovle the problem ? System is 2010 and out of warranty.

Thanks for reading the post.

• 

2.7K Posts

January 16th, 2014 20:00

Hello Bazzy44!

That error code means hard driver failure, and since you are not able to flash the BIOS then a replacement will fix the problem. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 5th, 2014 14:00

Are you sure that's a bootable Windows DVD? Have you tried to boot it in another computer?

On desktops, we can press F12 at BIOS and get a list of bootable devices. Try similar on laptop.

You can also try booting a Ubuntu.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install

... that will check DVDROM drive, SATA controllers, boot-ability, and hardware in general.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 15th, 2014 09:00

Hi Bazzy44,

I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

http://dell.to/164l6g4

Also, please let me know the error you received for which you replaced the hard drive.

5 Posts

January 15th, 2014 16:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I recieved the following error codes :-

0142 mss: error code 20000-142 mss: hard drive 0 self test unsucessful status : 79

00:1332 msg disc-block 30959606 interupt request did not set in time (irq)

I have not replaced the hard drive yet, I just re-fitted after noting the serial number but now it wont boot, just a blank screen, no display, the fans spin up, with the num,caps and scroll lock keys flashing. 

5 Posts

January 17th, 2014 08:00

Thanks for the help, new hard drive on its way

5 Posts

February 5th, 2014 09:00

Finally found the time to install the new hard drive and Alienware logo along with F2 and F12 screen appears. Operating system not found is the next message. I have the cd's that came with the system and have run the dignostic programme on the resource disk, which shows everything is good.

I have tried the next cd which is the dell/alienware windows 7 disk but i keep getting the operating system not found message. BIOS is set to boot from cd, etc

Any help on what i am doing wrong or do i need to buy a new copy of windows 7 and install from there ?

5 Posts

February 5th, 2014 16:00

That's something i dont know if the windows disc is bootable, i'll try that first. If i cant boot from it what other options can i try ?

Thanks for the reply.

No Events found!