Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2017 22:00

[Help] Alienware X51 R1 not going past Alienware Loading screen.

So, First some background. I was running MacOS Sierra for a bit as a hackintosh on my X51, I needed to develop for IOS for a project, after that was done I created a bootable installer for Windows 10. MacOS needs a UEFI boot mode while Windows does not so while I was changing the boot order, I also changed the boot mode to Legacy and not UEFI. During the Windows installation I couldnt install to my drives because they were formatted in a GPT partition scheme(required for UEFI) and I needed a MBR scheme(required for legacy), Eventually I learned Windows can be installed in UEFI Mode so I tried to go back to my BIOS and I couldn't this is when the problem occurred. I can't get past the alienware screen. It would load all the way and do nothing, I could jam the F2 key and all it does is highlight the text saying "F2 Setup" or the F12 key and it only highlights the text. it just stays there, I've disconnected evertyhing and unplugged the power and nothing. I'm not sure where to go from here now.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 15th, 2017 11:00

Legacy or UEFI should not matter on accessing the BIOS. Connect USB wired keyboard to back-panel port. You tap F2 or F12 keys a couple of times early (don't jam or hold keys).

Remove all partitions from HDD or just disconnect at first.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 15th, 2017 13:00

Same thing, I'm getting the same response from the computer.

Are you sure keyboard is good?

Did you do something strange like modify your BIOS firmware?

Do you want to try removing dedicated video card (and use on-board HDMI) before calling motherboard fried?

2 Posts

January 15th, 2017 13:00

Same thing, I'm getting the same response from the computer.

No Events found!