Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2015 12:00

Holy Moly! Now I'm frazzled following the update.

Hi all and thanks so much for the thread.

I had a feeling that my fan issues/seemingly CPU lag were derived from an automatic update. The problem is, I also completed a massive windows update during the same time (I have it turned off and decided it was time to try). I also updated display drivers. I later ran into some Malware issues. Let me explain my nightmare: first, updates were affecting performance. After exhausting everything I could think of, I restore and checked/repaired my OS disk. This fixed my fan issues and performance issues due to restore.

Next I unfortunately stumble across a malicious webpage which convinced me to system restore again. After a few issues with my anti-virus software preventing me from restoration at certain points, I inadvertently restore to the point which contained the original problems! None of my other system restore points worked and there were no more options that would work.

I have been scouring the device manager trying to figure out what is causing my fans to run incessantly  and sporadically cause mouse input-lag with what appeared to be a straining CPU. I rolled back drivers, reinstalled drivers from both AMD and dell, messed with boot options, ran in safe mode trying to figure out what it anything could be done.

I have uninstalled some of the aforementioned Dell files and my fans have yet to kick on as before. I am cautiously listening to the CPU fan and there's a tiny bit of fluctuation but nothing like before. Hopefully this has remedied my problem. I haven't seen any CPU strain/mouse lag since I restarted following this reboot so that is also good news.

Geeze, this entire endeavor brought back painful memories of switching my OS over to a Samsung SSD drive when I originally bought the M17xR4!!

• 

2.7K Posts

February 18th, 2015 20:00

Just in case the issue with the fans persists try the steps on this sticky post. (Edit - Removed per instructions. Awaiting the Dell KB to be released.)

6 Posts

February 22nd, 2015 17:00

21 Posts

February 22nd, 2015 20:00

Apparently I do not have access to your link. (Alienware-Milina)

21 Posts

February 22nd, 2015 20:00

Thanks for the input.

I accidentally created an entirely new post instead of responding to another thread about this issue that I was reading. I have removed Dell Data Vault as well as SupportAssist and possibly another that I'm not remembering.

I don't know if it's just my imagination, but I think that my computer is not running as well as it used to, still. It seems my CPU fan runs a lot more than it used to, or perhaps I'm just being paranoid after the hell that I went through following the update.

• 

2.7K Posts

February 24th, 2015 08:00

Yes they erase it since we are waiting for further information; meanwhile you can uninstall the Support assist agent that might help you. 

No Events found!