Highlighted
ncr100
1 Copper

How do I enable my touchpad backlight

My 2016 AW 17 R4's touchpad backlight is not currently working.

I once fixed it by changing the BIOS setting for touch backlight to ON from AUTO. But today that does not seem to work. I went to ON, then AUTO, then back to ON, rebooting in between, and none seem to work.

My keyboard backlight works but not the touchpad.

What next steps should I try? Full BIOS "Load Defaults"?

Thanks for any advice,
Nick

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: How do I enable my touchpad backlight

Hi ncr100‌,

Check this Alienware Command Center Quick Guide for some troubleshooting options. Run the AlienFX Tester as shown on the Video: Test your system lights using the AlienFX Tester and let me know if the touchpad light works with the tester.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
ncr100
1 Copper

Hi Alienware-Eimy‌!

I still need help. Thank you for sharing the troubleshooting steps. Here is the list I tried:

• Watched the video, and ran the AlienFX tester C:\Program Files\Alienware\Command Center\AlienwareAlienFXTester.exe. Saw version 3.00.00, and red, green, blue, and white LEDs on the keys but not the touchpad
  • Repaired my Alienware Command Center installation using Alienware Command Center Quick Guide | Dell US 
  • Reinstalled following How to Remove and Reinstall the Alienware Command Center | Dell US
  • Changed the BIOS for "Touchpad Backlight", this time to AUTO
  • "Drained the Power" by holding the alien head power button for 20 seconds while off and unplugged, also using Alienware Command Center Quick Guide | Dell US  
  • Checked the configuration of the AlienFX software showed my touchpad illuminated, in blue. I have tried several configurations, all change the keyboard and other lights, except for the touchpad.
  • Re-ran the Alienware AlienFX tester and still saw no touchpad illumination

What may I try next?

Regards, Nick

0 Kudos

Send me a private message with the service tag, so I can assist you further.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo