Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2011 04:00

How do I stop M17X from shutting down/going to sleep when 5% battery left?

Hey everyone,

How do I stop my Alienware M17X R3 from either shutting down or going to sleep when 5% of the battery remains? I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

I've changed the Power and Performance Options to be:

Critical Battery action:

On battery: do nothing

Low battery level:

On battery: 10%

Critical battery level:

On battery: 5%

Low battery notification:

On battery: On

Low battery action:

On battery: Do nothing

Reserve battery level:

on Battery: 5%

EVERY TIME the computer gets down to 5%, it turns off and goes dark. I can't tell if it's shutting down or going to sleep. Either way, I don't want it to do anything as I want to have a chance to get up and plug it in.

Is there some place else I have to change settings? What am I missing?

Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 26th, 2011 20:00

I believe this is normal. Try running with the onboard Intel HD3000 video card and get it down to 5%. What happens? Also, why not just plug the AC adapter in when the battery gets down to 7%?

17 Posts

July 30th, 2011 00:00

I think the "reserve power" setting is what causes the system to shut down. Eg, reserve power of 5%. Am testing this currently.

17 Posts

August 8th, 2011 00:00

The "reserve power" doesn't seem to make a difference. I set "reserve power" to 3% and the critical battery level at 6%. As soon as the charge hit 6%, it shut down despite my having "do nothing" under "critical power" options.

So what the heck!? How do I get the laptop to NOT shutdown? Or what is causing the laptop to shutdown when as far as I can see everything says, "do nothing" under the power options.

Thanks!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 8th, 2011 02:00

You should not run Lithium batteries down below 10-15%. Set Low Battery warning to 20% and plug it in when it tells you to.

Critical Battery action:

On battery: Shut-Down or Hibernate

Low battery level:

On battery: 20%

Critical battery level:

On battery: 15%

Low battery notification:

On battery: On

Low battery action:

On battery: Warning

With Lithium batteries it's better to keep them stored fully charged and charge or top-them-off any chance you get. They are not like NiMh or NiCd batteries.

No Events found!