Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2015 12:00

How to: Upgrade M17x R4 to Windows 10

I recently upgraded my M17x R4 to Windows 10 over the weekend and I thought I'd share what I did.

First of all, I have found that everything works (except that Alienware command center crashes and subsequently the eject and command center hotkeys - still trying to get these working)

If you are going from 7 -> 10 everything worked fine after the upgrade (would recommend finding all the latest drivers if Windows doesn't find them for you)

If you decide to go with a fresh install after you upgrade, make sure Windows has activated before you wipe your PC (also would recommend backing it up)

Once you have Windows 10 installed install the Killer NIC software from their website (if you have a Killer NIC) and if you have ATI/Intel switchable graphics download/install the driver from the dell site before upgrading the ATI/Intel drivers (It has the intel media components). Also get the latest intel RST software from their website.

If your touchpad does weird things after the upgrade, disable edgemotion, pinch zoom, and lower touchcheck and touch sensitivity to a minimum.

Once you have installed the video card drivers, the wifi software and the intel rst software windows should find the rest of the drivers and it should be smooth sailing from then on!

2 Posts

August 4th, 2015 00:00

I plan to upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10.

If I need to install Dell drivers after the upgrade, should I pic Windows 7 or 8.1?

Also, my Win7 copy is not activated but I have a Win 8 Pro key, the upgrade should still work right?

Thanks!

August 4th, 2015 04:00

I used all Windows 7 Drivers from the Dell site and everything worked fine.

If you are upgrading to Windows 10 via the free upgrade from Microsoft you need to upgrade then reinstall, if you have a separate Windows 10 key then you should be able to just reinstall.

August 4th, 2015 05:00

just a heads up since dell no longer supports the system AMD officially added the driver support so you can dl AMDS actual drivers right off their page...heres what to do uninstall old amd drivers and intel hd drivers dont reboot....download newest intel hd drivers from intels site, dl newest amd drivers off their site.. install just the intel hd drivers first once it completes reboot, once back up install newest amd drivers you downloaded and reboot and you are done including working switchable graphics and no more old video drivers that dont support anything newer than 2012 games and for now on amd auto updater or if you are on windows 10 will handle the drivers going forward...the 7970m is still a beast of a card and you can run anything with it smoothly.

August 4th, 2015 08:00

I already mentioned downloading the latest drivers from Intel and ATI after you do fresh install. The reason I don't recommend downloading the drivers directly from them in the first place is the switchable graphics. I have tried this in the past and although you can successfully install the drives, the switchable graphics does not work.

I still recommend installing the original ATI/Intel drivers from Dell, AND THEN UPGRADE to the latest ATI and Intel drivers.

2 Posts

August 5th, 2015 20:00

Thanks guys I'll try this soon!

And the 7970M is definitely a beast :P

1 Message

August 13th, 2015 23:00

what about UEFI enabled? Did you legacy install windows?

August 14th, 2015 06:00

I did not enable UEFI, but I'm sure you can. I'm running in Legacy mode partially because I'm still on BIOS revision A2.

2 Posts

September 27th, 2015 19:00

Has anyone managed to get command centre working? Its the last thing i have to do but none of the versions work. 

September 27th, 2015 22:00

I gave up on them. I rarely use either the eject or command center hotkey buttons. Thanks Dell for the awesome support!

December 9th, 2015 10:00

AlienFX lighting works. The only things that are broken for me are the eject hotkey and the alien fx hotkey.

4 Posts

Did your Alien FX lighting ever start working?

4 Posts

So does the Alien FX lighting work after the switch to 10?

No Events found!