Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2017 09:00

How to change boot order permanently with UEFI

Hi, I hope someone can help me with my problem.

I have an Alienware 17 r4 and I upgraded with an ssd, I used the Samsung migrating software to clone everything to the ssd then I formated the hdd. The problem is I can't change the boot order in the bios, there is nothing on the hdd but it's still trying to boot it, it's not booting the ssd at all ,automaticly. When i switch on the computer I press f12 and I can choose the ssd there to boot from it and it works, but this is just temporarely when I restard the pc it's trying the boot only the hdd again. I can't change the boot order in the bios either because there is only one option there (windows boot manager(wich is booting the hdd)) so I have no idea how to set the ssd to the priority boot permanently.

June 17th, 2017 10:00

Hallo Niklaus97.

i hope the Boot Manager were transfered to your new SSD. otherwise you can not Boot at all.

try to Reset the BIOS. BIOS > Exit > Load Defaults (or Optimal Settings. not sure how it's called).. then Save & Exit. you should be able to choose your new SSD as a Boot Device next Time you Visit the BIOS Settings.

9 Posts

June 17th, 2017 10:00

Thank you for the answer but it didn't work, after I restored the default settings nothing changed.

In the bios > boot> boot priority, there are only 3 options listed (1.windows boot manager   2. ipv4    3. ipv6)

but when I press f12, there is a boot setup when its listed, so I can boot the ssd, but I cant change the order or anything, It's just a manual boot, everytime I restard the pc its trying the to boot the hdd automaticaly and I have to manualy choose the ssd everytime to boot.

June 17th, 2017 11:00

okay. you have to Boot into Windows with F12, then open Windows Disk Manager. now check two Things.

a) there is a Boot Manager Partition on your new SSD.  it should be a small one.

b) there is absolutely nothing on your old HDD.

if the Boot Manager is still on your old HDD and your new SSD has no BM at all, then it's gonna be a Nightmare to fix.

sorry, but i have to go now. so don't expect an Answer for atleast 4 Hours.

9 Posts

June 17th, 2017 11:00

D; is the 1tb hdd  (Disk 0)

C; is the 500 gb ssd (Disk 1)

I formated the hdd after cloning.

June 17th, 2017 14:00

thanks for the Screenshots.
that is exactly what i expected. you have 2 x Efi Partitions (Boot Manager) and 2 x Recovery now. you should delete the ones from your old HDD. but i think there is something else.

what Model is it? Samsung 960 Evo M2 SSD?
do you have the latest BIOS Version for your Laptop installed? if no, then you should do that next.

9 Posts

June 17th, 2017 16:00

Yes it is the Samsung 960 Evo m.2 and I have the latest bios driver.

How can I delete them?  and there is two recovery partitions on the hdd the 450Mb and the 12 Gb, both of them?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 17th, 2017 22:00

It might have worked if you would have used better cloning software and followed the proper steps (removed old un-touched HDD when you were suppose to, etc.):

Alienware Aurora R6 --- I wanna install SSD in it and do the first boot with the SSD , is it possible ? Or i have to install everything on HDD then install my SSD. 

But now you have already formatted your HDD, you are likely looking at full format of the SSD and clean-install (aka Nuke-and-Pave).

On UEFI machines, with Windows Boot Manager and options like SecureBoot, you can't be messing around with it to much and doing whatever steps ... and still expect it to boot and work.

June 18th, 2017 03:00

Hallo Tesla1856.

that's what i thought aswell. the Samsung Software can not Clone properly from SATA to NVMe. i didn't know what SSD Type it was. i'm gonna try one more Thing but i don't think it works TBH.

June 18th, 2017 03:00

as already mentioned, the Samsung Software can not Clone properly, if you are trying to Clone from SATA HDD to NVMe SSD. try following:

1. Install the Samsung NVMe Driver. you can Download the Driver from the Samsung Website.

2. Disconnect your old HDD and try to Boot. go into BIOS and see if you can choose your SSD as a Boot Device or not.

if it fails, then put your old HDD back in and re-install Windows. during Windows Setup you can delete all Partitions.

June 18th, 2017 07:00

i remember reading about it. someone tried to repair the Windows Installation and it didn't work.

about the NVMe Driver: i have a Samsung 960 Pro installed and Benchmarked both, Microsoft and Samsung NVMe Drivers and believe me, you want the Samsung Driver to be installed. AS SSD Benchmark feels really slow with the MS Driver and the Results are not that impressive either.

Edit:

removed some Stuff. Sorry. i also forgot to mention that the NVMe SSD can not Boot in RAID Mode without F6 Driver.

9 Posts

June 18th, 2017 07:00

I tried to install the samsung nvme driver but it gets an error before installing(nvme device not connected). I read in the installation guide that the problem could be , the pc is in raid mode. So in the bios the raid mode was automatically on but the hdd and the ssd are "non-raided" , but i switched the "raid on" to AHCI (the only other option) ,but in this mode the windows is not booting at all, I'm only getting blue screens so I switched back to raid on so I can boot up atleast.

So I cant install the nvme driver.

I have a windows 10 on pendrive but I really dont want to reinstall windows. I was thinking about to boot from the pendrive and deep format the hdd without instaling the windows and If the ssd wouldn't boot up after that, then I could use repair mode to fix the windows on the ssd. Could this work?

9 Posts

June 18th, 2017 10:00

Thank you for the answers.

I found this:

How to delete a protected EFI disk partition with Windows 7, 8, or Windows 10 | WinAbility Software 

This worked perfectly, now the hdd is 100% clean and the pc is automatically booting from the ssd.

June 19th, 2017 03:00

Hey, Great News. i didn't expect it TBH.

is RAID Mode still enabled on your Laptop? if so, have you tried to switch to AHCI?

and one more Question: can you choose the SSD as a Boot Device in BIOS?

Edit:
i didn't want you to delete the Original EFI System Partition because if the Cloned EFI Partition was Corrupted, then you would not be able to Boot at all. that's why i asked you to disconnect your old HDD. you should have tested it before if it works or not. you got really Lucky.

9 Posts

June 19th, 2017 11:00

The raid mode was enabled cuz it didnt boot when I switched to the ahci, but later I found a solution for that too. So its on ahci now and I could install the samsung  nvme driver in this mode. I still cant choose the boot order in the bios(there are no options there ), its automaticaly booting where th OS is.

June 19th, 2017 11:00

Cool. the Driver is installed and it works after all. Great Job.

bye

No Events found!