Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

EM

October 12th, 2014 06:00

How to install all my programs to new hybrid hard drive

I have an x51. the existing hard drive fails the smart test and wont always boot up.  So i ordered a hybrid hard drive from Dell.  i also bought the premium alien respawn and did the bootable backup, the data backup, and the full system backup on my external hard drive.  but none of these programs will load onto the new hard drive - i think maybe none of these programs recognize that its a new drive so they arent formatting it?  the bios does rrecognize the new drive.  

When the new drive is installed the computer goes to the blue screen where you can select how to try to get the computer going, but the system backup wont load  to the new hard drive.  I even did reinstall discs but they dont load onto the new hard drive either- they just get stuck in the disc drive which wont release them,

so how do i get the new hard drive installed and working?  seems like none of these programs is able to install the backups i paid $40 to do.  and i cant find a procedure or steps to get this done.  

thanks for your help

Ed M

October 13th, 2014 06:00

ok now i have somehow made limited progress - a very limited version of windows is loaded onto the new hard drive, but now when i do the PSA (preboot system assessment) it shows that the new hard drive does not complete the self test with error code 2000-D145, validation 117158.  So it looks like this ew hard drive is defective.  Is that why i have been having all these issues?

By the way I am writing this using the old hard drive in this same computer which is still working after a fashion - it fails the same test and it fails to boot about 1/2 the time now.  but it does boot and im still running it.  i see that seagate has a 2 year warranty on this drive so i wonder if they will replace it under warranty since i bought this computer about 1 1/2 years ago.  what do you think?  the original hard drive us a seagate ST1000DM003.

Ed

October 22nd, 2014 12:00

I was never able to get the respawn tool to do anything to help me spawn
the new hard drive. it would never even start up from the external hard
drive that i loaded the system backup and the data backup onto.  So it was
completely useless in setting up the new hard drive.

I had also done a set of reinstall discs so i put the first one in the disc
drive to see if it would install windows etc onto the new hard drive.  This
also did nothing when i tried to get it working.  Then when i went to take
the disc out the disc drive locked the disc in and WOULD NOT eject the
disc.

So I consider the $40 i spent on the respawn to be a ripoff since it did
NOTHING to help get the new hard drive working.

Ed Mullen

• 

2.7K Posts

October 23rd, 2014 15:00

When you are re installing windows in a new hard drive it’s better to install every program from scratch to avoid further software issues.

After doing that you can install the Alienrespawn and make your back up.

October 23rd, 2014 20:00

Thanks for replying.  I had no software issues so there was no good reason to do it that way , and i foolishly thought that the respawn program would save me some time.  Obviously that program does absolutely nothing to provide a useable backup except in EXTREMELY limited circumstances.  A competently written program would adapt to a new hard drive but this thing is worthless.  So I am even more convinced that this program is only a way for Dell to make money.  Pretty sad.

I worked for 40 years getting machines built for in plant use, and if one of my programmers had written a program this useless I would have fired them instantly.  I have absolute requirements for programs and this thing is a complete joke.  If I had allowed a program this bad to be used in production I would have been fired myself.

So now I have built the drive the old way and would never dream of installing the respawn program again. 

Dell should state the severe limitations of this respawn program so people are aware of how little use it really is.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 24th, 2014 00:00

Obviously that program does absolutely nothing to provide a useable backup except in EXTREMELY limited circumstances.

That's what I have been posting for years. Here's another user, but my reply applies to you as well.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19496142/20688805#20688805

IMHO, just use Windows Imaging, or a dependable (and supported) 3rd party imaging tool like Acronis or similar.

New forum database query is screwy, but search my Favorites (way to the end) to find complete posts about proper way to rebuild from scratch and get drivers installed in proper order.

No Events found!