Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2011 21:00

Huge PSU mistake, need advice.

I placed an order for my Aurora r3 7/12/11..I should be getting it soon, only problem is I think I made a critical error when ordering it. I got a 525w PSU. Mind you my Aurora is coming with two GTS 450 SLI cards. My question is : Obviously I'm probably going to need more than the 525 psu. Will I even be able to play a game, let alone boot up the machine with such a low PSU wattage? I just realized I should have opted for the 825 watt. Doh!

2.4K Posts

I don't think they would sell it with the 450 SLI option and the 525w PSU if it didn't work. Dell could have changed the card to make it use less power. They do that sometimes.

I def, hope that's the case right? Its a little concerning on my end. I plan on doing just some slight overclocking. Hope it can hold up.

August 2nd, 2011 15:00

I don't know what your plans for 'slight overclocking' are, but I'd recommend running the machine for a while as-is to be sure you're happy with its performance and it's stable.  

I agree with morblore that the buying wizards you step through on the Dell website typically pick up on discrepancies like that and won't let you purchase the item without the appropriate compatible hardware.  Hopefully you won't have a problem.

Personally, I ran my Area-51 ALX for a few weeks, loved it, and discovered that overclocking hardware that was already that finely tuned (and managed on-demand with the Intel Performance Tuning Utility) was a quick way to destabilize everything and guarantee me crashes.  "Blood from a stone", so to speak.

No Events found!