Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2011 12:00

I am confused, only one graphic card in my M17x R1??

Hey, so lately I noticed that my m17x got very hot by running on SLI. So I decided to open it up for the first time and clean out the fans.

I was following the instructions of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j20wn96uac0&feature=channel_video_title

and noticed that he got two graphic cards in his computer. I have always thought mine had that as well but apparently not.. I guess. I don't know much about computers or graphic cards at all but shouldn't the m17 look like his laptop does at: 5:47  ?

Well, mine looks like this, which made me very suspicious.

The thing is that I won the computer at a movie contest and have had quite alot of problems with it. Now have I been tricked? Did they miss to put in a graphic card? Or am I just very lost and don't know what I am talking about?

Please help!

1.2K Posts

September 10th, 2011 18:00

no .. its option for SLI  cards .. you got single  card option ... not dual ...  u can get a second card on ebay  but make sure its got sli cable on it and fan ... :O

this is  actual cards 260 gtx/280gtx pending on your card the 9400 is an onboard card which is on motherboard so if you had SLI it would show 2 260 or 2 280's in device manager and the 9400 as mine did:

Nvidia 9400

Nvidia 2*0M GTX  <--* represents 6 or 8 pending on card

Nvidia 2*0M GTX

20 Posts

September 11th, 2011 03:00

Oh this answers alot of my questions.. But still I am confused.. Cuz along with the bios came the drivers for both my graphic cards.. And I got the option of hybrid SLI to switch between my 260 and my 9400.. But how can I have SLI option if I only got one graphic card? :S Is it messed up, or nothing to worry about? It runs alot better on my 260 but gets very heated after some time. Would you reccomend buying another?

By the way, if I now buy a new card. Can I buy a 280 and mix it with my 260 or should I have 2x 260 or 2x 280?

1.2K Posts

September 11th, 2011 10:00

the performance increase isnt worth it sicne you need 2 IDENTICAL cards for SLI  + you need a 240 watt adapter so you would need to replace that aswell if you add second card ... but read this it explains how hybrid works ..

www.nvidia.com/.../hybridsli_notebook.html

1.2K Posts

September 11th, 2011 11:00

primary card always works hard and always will but in games both work hard average temps  usually 80C~ ingame ifnot more pending on ambient temperature  .. with both cards i seen 85C~ on both  in games ..  video throttle temp is around 105C so no worrys can boil water before card gets to hot LOL  

anyway DP/N  should be on there aswell as you can check in bios it will tell you what watts the  PSU is if its a 240 ...  find a cheap 260M with cooling heatsink/sli cable attached and fan  it will help in gaming performance...  but only if you do have the 240 watt psu .. the smaller 193 watt or whatever it is cant handle 2 cards

20 Posts

September 11th, 2011 11:00

Hey, thanks for the answer. I think I actually currently have a 240 watt adapter (I think I got this one:  ). But are you sure it's not worth buying a second card? at the moment it seems like my single 260m card has to work very hard when I'm running on it. Wouldn't two of them like "plit up the work" sort of? Cuz it gets so very heated when I am using high graphics in games that it almost creeps me out some times D:.  By the way, do you know any program that I can use to see the temp of my GPU or CPU or what ever it's called?

20 Posts

September 11th, 2011 12:00

Well, I am pretty sure I got 240 watt adapter. It says weird things about "240v input" on the back of it, + it's huge so if I would have the "smaller" version I believe the bigger one would be the size of half my m17x lol.

Okay, great then I won't worry about the heat, still I will buy a cooler so i can increase the life lenght of what ever is inside it.

One thing though, I've never used Ebay, isn't there any site where I can buy new and fresh versions of it? Isn't Ebay like second hand stuff? I live in Sweden so ebay is not used that much here.

still thanks for all the help! you're awesome, got so many questions answered in such a short  time :D.

No Events found!