Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 19th, 2017 10:00

I have a 2012 Alienware M17x R2 and I'm trying to upgrade the HD to a Samsung 850 Evo SSD. The Samsung Magician (and 3 other cloning applications I've downloaded) are unable to pull the OS (Windows 7 Home Premium) to the SSD. Each of the cloning apps indi

Additional details include my daughter decided to update the OS to Windows 10 and I cloned the original HD in that condition. I subsequently reverted back to Windows 7 after all of the afore mentioned cloning issues and need to know if the SSD that I cloned the original HD with can be reformatted and once again used to clone the original HD once I learn how to get the OS to work on the replacement SSD.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 19th, 2017 10:00

I like Macrium Reflect Free v6.x (Image with Verify On).

An old machine like that might still have a Windows-7 based Dell Recovery Partition on HDD.

https://community.dell.com/thread/21205

You can always DiskPart and Clean the SSD to return it to it's original (new and un-initialized) condition.

You can always install only the SSD (to be bootable C: drive) and clean install either Windows-7/64bit or Windows-10.

757 Posts

March 20th, 2017 05:00

Samsung Magician is not a cloning application.

Samsung has a "migration" software application and it is located either with the Samsung SSD purchase or on their website directly below the Magician software link.

Do not use Magician 5.0 with Windows 7. Instead use the prior version 4.9.7 which can be found by googling. If using W10, Magician 5.0 is better.

W7 and Magician 5.0 will prompt a message on power up asking to turn on or off the WMI ("WMI Service is disabled, enable?"). If you accidentally select no your system will fail to load properly on the next power up and you will need to restore your system using a cloned copy. So be prepared or simply use version 4.9.7 on W7.

No Events found!