Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 15th, 2012 17:00

M18x R2, Cache and Crossfire setup

I was told when I ordered my M18X that I should save my money and go with a smaller caching SSD of 32MB, I originally had a larger SSD planned.

I thought this sounded good as the system would auto cache in the 32GB SSD which sounded like a great plan according to the description of the sales tech.

I received my M18X last night, and it is awesome !!  I just need to get things setup to work as advertised.

320-3624
CrossfireX 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7970
342-4397
750GB 7,200RPM SATA-II HDD
342-4504
32GB mSATA caching SSD

1) I am not seeing anything being written to the "caching" 32GB SSD , what do I need to do to setup this auto caching mechanic that I was sold on ?

2) I am not entirely sure if my Dual AMD 7970 Graphics cards are truly working in Crossfire mode.  I went into the Catalyst Setup app which I updated from AMD as the original was old and had major Jitter problems when running World of Warcraft.   However when running World of Warcraft on Ultimate Settings I am getting 25 to 60 fps.  I thought it should hold solid at 60 fps (as that is the refresh rate of the M18X display.  is there a way I can run a bench test to insure my system is setup and running as it should ?  

Thank you very much for your help,

Dale

9 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 17:00

I called Alienware Tech support and they found that the 32GB caching SSD was not setup correctly from the factory.  After running the Intel Rapid application it was easy to select the 32GB SSD up for caching.  They system seems to running much better now :-)

No Events found!