Sutekh
1 Nickel

Re: IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers not showing up, unable to TRIM SSD

Jump to solution

the recovery software arrived today after requesting it from tech support yesterday - very impressed. reinstalling the actual OEM version of Win 8 now. Thanks so much for all the advice and assistance! I may toy around with adding the RSTe after a making a recovery point to see if that was truly the culprit, and will post the findings here in case any others have a similar problem with optimization grayed out on their SSD.

0 Kudos
morblore
4 Ruthenium

Re: IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers not showing up, unable to TRIM SSD

Jump to solution

the recovery software arrived today after requesting it from tech support yesterday - very impressed. reinstalling the actual OEM version of Win 8 now. Thanks so much for all the advice and assistance! I may toy around with adding the RSTe after a making a recovery point to see if that was truly the culprit, and will post the findings here in case any others have a similar problem with optimization grayed out on their SSD.

If you add the RST back in then you don't want to use the Windows optimization. You would down load the Intel SSD toolbox and use that instead.

You use Window's driver with Window's optimization. You use Intel's driver with Intel's optimization.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

0 Kudos
dangray
1 Copper

RE: IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers not showing up, unable to TRIM SSD

Jump to solution

This is not even close to what the OP is referring to. He is trying to defrag a SSD, only it's not good to do an old school defrag on SSD drive. What defrag now does on SSDs is actually trim the invalid pages(blocks of "empty" data) so that data can be written that area of the SSD again. If trim is not run on a SSD regularly it will become very slow.

Whether the OS is installed on the SSD is irrelavent. I have several SSDs in multiple machines and on only one can I not trim the SSD which has the OS installed.

What Dell Kanndy was referring to is the SSHD, hybrid caching mode, which is pretty much the only option offered by Dell. This option does not allow direct access to the SSD portion of the drive and is automatically used by the drivers to put the most frequently used files on the SSD side of the drive and less frequently used files on the HDD.

The problem is that the hardware does not support the TRIM function and it cannot be done on SATA controllers which do not recognize the command. If your SSD was attached to a newer SATA controller, you would not have this issue.

0 Kudos