Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 4th, 2013 20:00

Idle temp raised 10 deg Fahrenheit since 1st week(2-4 deg weekly)Aurora R4 ALX Chassis

Hello, I hate to start off my 1st post w/ a question. Normaly I like to introduce myself first but I am a little concerned & I can just say hello now... Hello...anywhoo, when I first received my "working" Aurora R4 w/ ALX Chassis & after I had installed all my software & got it all personalized & running like I like it she(I named her Sandy)would idle between 74 & 76 degrees Fahrenheit & that is w/ being fully overclocked(preset oc2 in bios)& having my gtx680x2 w/ sli turned on. Well now, after raising anywhere from 2-4 degrees a week it now idles between 84-86 degrees w/ out making any real changes that should effect it. I have had to fully uninstall & reinstall the command center b/c of the usual bugs that most people experience w/ sensors misreading & lights not turning off after power down, etc. but now seem to have that issue under control. I am only moderately tech savvy so I'm not sure what all these processes running in the background are but have checked most of them just incase malicious software running in the background is to blame to no avail. I have run every free reputable scanner I can find & have only found 1 tracking cookie & have made sure it is thoroughly dusted. So I guess after my essay here my question is this; Is it normal for a pc to raise 10 degrees for it's idle w/ in the 1st month of use even though no new software or hardware has been added that could account for it? Also, this may be a total noob thing to say but my ram is suppose to be 1600mhz but is only reading as 800mhz but I have no idea as I'm still learning everything I can about this wonderful machine. CPU-Z is saying that my 16gigs of ram(4 sticks of 4gigs each)are reading as 798.1mhz. Is this something that I need to overclock in the bios in order to achieve like the cpu?

Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 SLI

Intel i7-3930K (Six Core, 12MB Cache)

NB : Intel Sandy Bridge-E rev 07

SB : Intel X79 rev 06

RAM : 16384 MB DDR3

RAM Speed : 798.1 MHz

512GB SSD MAIN + 1TB 7200RPM Storage

835 Posts

July 9th, 2013 14:00

Hi Mase,

I apologize for the delay in my response.

When I first read your post, I failed to notice you were speaking in Fahrenheit terms (I'm used to Celsius), a 10 degree Fahrenheit increase is actually very normal, you system is now running more processes than when you first got it and that of course, will require more power and therefore more heat will be generated. Even though the system is idling, there are processes running on the background, your temperatures are very good and there is nothing to worry about.

6 Posts

July 10th, 2013 14:00

thank you for your response. That is why I never called tech support b/c I knew it was well w/ in normal operating range but I just wanted to make sure.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 4th, 2013 22:00

Moving this thread to the Alienware Owners Club Forum.

Bev.

835 Posts

July 5th, 2013 11:00

Hi xdesertpunkx,

Let's fix sandy up ;)

What program are you using to check the temps? Is that temperature related to the CPU or the Video Card? or both?

Have you used any other programs to check the speed of the ram, besides CPU-Z?

6 Posts

July 5th, 2013 12:00

sorry It took long to get back to you but I guess the contact email is wrong so I didn't see you had responded. Outside the pc the temp is the same as it was when I 1st got it a month ago. I live in phx, az so it has been over 100 degrees for months but we keep our air set & I check room temp & things like that inclueding all other things that could be effecting it. I know it isn't ambient temp that brought it up 10 degrees for idle. That might account for a degree or two if anything at all. The temp is related to all of the above, it looks like all my temps seem to stay around the same 84-86 w/ little to no variation in between them for more than a minute, eg. all 3 command center readings(sensor 1,2 &3)all end up reading the same temp at the same time.

Thank you for responding about the ram, After reading up on it I was pretty sure ssd reads double but thank you for verifying that for me.

83 Posts

July 5th, 2013 12:00

Well as for ram 800mhz in cpuz is n9rmal and is infact 1600mhz .. it reads as double data rate... 800 is equal to doue datarate 1600.. that is fine... temp is another question since it is summer and you never specify ambient temp.... cause if the room goes up so does idle temps.

83 Posts

July 5th, 2013 13:00

yea DDR* double data rate ....

anyway lol  have you noticed an accumulation of dust( I know a month don't seem long) I clean my laptop every 2 weeks and its bad and im in a clean environment for the most part ...

also have you noticed any difference in fan rpms/speeds and or temps when   under sever load.... hwmonitor is good for recording max temp in background when gaming .. etc..

6 Posts

July 5th, 2013 14:00

well as I said in my original post I dusted it thoroughly & do so every week or two like you said so I don't think it's that.

as far as temp goes in regards to what I am doing it actually tends to go down when I'm doing anything resource heavy like gaming. I hate to mention this b/c I don't want to come off like I'm downing on Dell but I need to say this as a point of reference. The 1st Aurora R4 ALX I received didn't work for more than a couple hours before it stopped working & after weeks of trying everything over the phone & having a service tech come out & completely replace mobo & vid cards it was a wash & they sent me a new one. This one has worked great except that I notice the vents on top don't work like my 1st one did. The 1st R4 had vents that would all open completely & I'm pretty sure they were all at the same angle but when this one says it's open all the way the 1st vent looks half open & the rest are a little more closed than the 1st. Basically what I'm saying is that the 1st vent in front is open the most & the last one is pretty much closed & the rest are varying degrees of open to shut from front to back. They also seem loose in that I can move them without actually effecting the angle the motor is holding them at. I've never manipulated them manually so I wonder if it was damaged on the way over or if the 1st one I had was wrong. It's vents were all open at the same angle & would do more when booting up. idk how much any of this helps but figured Ide throw it out there. Sorry for all the novels I am writing but I just want to make sure that I keep Sandy(my pc)running as long & healthy as possible b/c not only is she awesome but she cost a crap load of money! Thank you for all responses so far & thanks in advance for any more. - Mase -

6 Posts

July 7th, 2013 03:00

(weekend bump)idles hotter than when video &/or games are running btw

835 Posts

July 10th, 2013 15:00

You are welcome, always happy to help :)

No Events found!