Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2013 13:00

Install RAID 0 on M18x R2, and fault or problem with HDD1 (united with a flexible tab).

Good afternoon everyone. I have an Alienware M18x R2 using it in an architectural office.

I have seen that many users have got the same problem as me. The hard drive HDD-1 (coupled with a flexible tab) recognizes the hard disks connected to that port at random or not recognized. If you install a RAID-0 in HDD-0 + HDD-1 (Sata III), It does not work or if by any chance to start the RAID-0, usually gives a lot of mistakes.

I'm testing on HDD-1 AND HDD-0 two hard drives 500GB Samsung 840 SSD, W7x64 and bios A12. But it does not work on RAID-0, HDD-1 not recognizes the SSD.

Any solution? ... Thank you very much in my name and that of all people with the same problem.

• 

2.7K Posts

November 14th, 2013 10:00

Hello Piscislitoral!

We are not aware about any known issue related to a RAID configuration, but if you are having a problem there could many things involved, it could be a bad port, or the interposer you are using, the raid controller or the configuration itself or it could even be the SSD.

It will be great if you can check in all those aspects and provide us with more information so we can help you.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 14th, 2013 11:00

Strange problem. Hope you are a good troubleshooter.

First, test those drives on another computer or on USB-3 interface.

Drop the RAID-0 config and install Win7-64 to SSD-0. Get that 100% and then see about bay2. C: will be 100% so you can stress-test and benchmark.

Check specs on those ports. Are they both SATA-3/600? SSDs should be fast enough without RAID-0. Plus, I don't think you can have OS monitored TRIM when in RAID.

Are those 840, EVO or Pro?

November 15th, 2013 11:00

First many thanks for replying, everyone and try to help. I will give you all the information you ask me and I will try to answer in order:

1. - Discs are Samsung 500Gb Ssd of Basic, model (DXT08B0Q) Sata 3 I have tried on another computer and they work well both individually and in Raid-0.

2.-The service has changed my motherboard and the Connection tab between the hard drives and motherboard. Both are new.

3.-The controller "Option Rom or Orom" Raid configuration is 11.6.0.1702.

* Note: If the Raid-0 I install it on HDD-0 (Sata 3) and HDD-2 (Sata 2) works perfectly Raid-0. And, another important point, Hdd-1 (the last port of the metal case) Sata 3, which always fails.

Thank you very much, DELL-Milena.

Tesla1856 and DELL-Milena, I do not understand is why the  always fails to start the HDD-1 with SSD Raid-0. I do not understand. I really do not. Why when starting from a normal Hdd in Hdd-2, the two SSD in HDD-0 and HDD-1, can read and write and work on them. I really do not understand. To see who of us all have knowledge to understand and solve this, I certainly am already locked.

First many thanks for replying, everyone and try to help. I will give you all the information you ask me and I will try to answer in order:

1. - Discs are Samsung 500Gb Ssd of Basic, model (DXT08B0Q) Sata 3 I have tried on another computer and they work well both individually and in Raid-0. They work to sata 6 gb / s.

2.-The service has changed my motherboard and the Connection tab between the hard drives and motherboard. Both are new.

3.-I passed a test with the software "Samsung Magician" Perfomance Penchmark perfectly.

What really pisses me off is that without being in Raid-0, starting from a normal Hdd Hdd-2, the two SSD in HDD-0 and HDD-1, can read and write and work on them. I really do not understand ... Tesla1856 ....

I did not understand when you say: "I do not think You Can Have OS Monitored when in RAID TRIM ..."

Thank you so much Tesla1856.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 15th, 2013 12:00

I did notunderstandwhen you say:"Ido not thinkYou Can HaveOSMonitoredwhen inRAIDTRIM..."

I didn't think you can have TRIM on RAID drives, but maybe you can now?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6161/intel-brings-trim-to-raid0-ssd-arrays-on-7series-motherboards-we-test-it

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 15th, 2013 12:00

Sounds like all the ports and drives are tested as working. Some will even RAID-0. I don't know. I'll let Dell take it from here since machine was recently serviced.

3 Posts

May 3rd, 2014 23:00

Hi, have you solved the problem , how did you fix it ?

recently I  had the  same problem when trying to build raid0 on Hdd0 and Hdd1 ports using two Kingston SSDNOW V300 ..I made some test and found  that the SSD does not work properly on port HDD1 , but  installing the two old HDDs on port HDD0 and portHDD1, it works fine . weird problem 

pleas let me know if you have any idea. Thanks

t

No Events found!