Highlighted
Not applicable

Intel and AMD video driver issue with m17x R3

Hello!

I have blank monitor issue like here Dell Vostro 3350 laptop monitor not being detected with latest Intel driver on Windows 7.

I have m17x R3 Intel + AMD 6970M Switchable Graphics.

I need latest Intel driver because:

1. it supports QuickSync (I very often convert videos for iPAD, also I use QS for video playback in MPC).
  2. Intel fixed many aero-related bugs, 2D and 3D bugs and optimizations.
  3. everybody knows Intel has big progress with their LATEST video drivers.
  4. Latest Intel driver is WDM compliant, current on dell site - IS NOT! It runs like old vista driver, and DWM is consuming much more memory then it should.
Currently we have ALMOST 2 YEARS OLD video driver, with many bugs and issues.
I have tried latest AMD driver (12.11 beta, that should be used in switchable graphics), but the issue with blank monitor like with Vostro still exists.
DELL, please fix that bugs and update video drivers to latest! I have bought GAMING notebook! Not office!
Thanks and please help! I really disappointed in dell gaming series support...
0 Kudos
14 Replies

Re: Intel driver issue with m17x R3

Hello SIGAN,

What are the symptoms on your system? When does the issue happens?

Karen M.
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hello!

The main issue:

if I install latest Intel driver with latest AMD switchable driver I see how windows is booting, but just before login screen I see screen flickering and see only black screen (Fn+F6 is not helping), but the notebook is working properly (remote login allowed).

Latest AMD switchable driver is not supports brightness control...

I have GAMING notebook, but can't install latest drivers with game improvements. DELL also DO NOT SUPPORT, please, you have to SUPPORT and update drivers! It is GAMING notebook.

The other issues:

1. QuickSync: I have tried multiple QuickSync application (they said no support available). I was able to install QS from different Intel driver (some time ago there was an option to setup only media packages, now this is not supported). After that I was able to use QS, and transcoded many videos. Now I have reinstalled Win7 and can't  find that driver. And Intel has changed setup program.

2. Games on latest Intel driver performs better, aero bugs and performance issues you can check in intel release logs (multiple, but rare of course)

3. That is true Smiley Happy

4. This is also true. Microsoft created WDM1.1+WDM1.2 to minimize memory usage (one of goals, also GPU switching and so on). The latest one from the dell support site is very old, only WDM1.0 (vista mode ?)

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Dell! Update 2 years old drivers for gaming notebook!!!

0 Kudos

if I install latest Intel driver with latest AMD switchable driver I see how windows is booting, but just before login screen I see screen flickering and see only black screen (Fn+F6 is not helping), but the notebook is working properly (remote login allowed).

Plug an external monitor to your laptop and check if the video is flickering or if the screen goes black.

Karen M.
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Yes I have checked this today. Currently I see not blank, but light gray (solid color fill).

I see THREE monitors in Windows, but I have only TWO connected: one internal notebook monitor and one external.

As far as I understand two monitors are about one internal monitor, and the third about external.

1. First monitor (in OS) was active and uses "extend desktop"
  2. Second monitor (in OS) was not active and not used ("do not use")
  3. Third monitor (in OS) was named as my external monitor, and was using "Extend desktop"

On second monitor I have choosed to use and extend, after that monitor is flickered and I was able to see my desktop on internal monitor! Bingo!

So I understand that:

The first monitor - is unknown (errornous)

The second - is my internal

The third is my external

So I decided to turn off first unknown (errornous) monitor (via OS, via "do not extend, do not use"), after that my internal monitor turned off completely (absolutle black, like power off). So I reverted to "extend desktop" on first and my internal monitor turned on. Hmmm...

As far as I can understand video driver incorrectly detected my internal monitor as two different monitors, but both must be active to work.

So this problem is driver related issue.

It is very simple to repeat by support team, you only need to download latest intel and amd drivers, and setup them both.

I have reinstalled stock dell driver and all is working, except Intel QuickSync and other intel/AMD features. For example, AMD fixed long Control Panel startup time, also they fixed error with delaying boot time and many others.

I think the best way will be if DELL update video drivers for supported (we have 3 year support) GAMING models m17x R3.

NOW I see DELL stopped support 2 YEAR AGOthat hurts me badly.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Dell, please update old video drivers for M17x R3 with AMD video card!

Please, please please!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hello, Karen!

Will you help? Do you have any new updates?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I think that will be the last my product from Dell.

I have very old HP - but they support for  XP, Vista, W7. W8 is also working just fine.

So anyone - DO NOT BUY DELL! They DO NOT SUPPORT!

Thanks DELL! You are the WORST company, even chinese companies has better support for their products!

0 Kudos
JiggyJiggy
1 Nickel

This is unbelievable. They are just screwing over their best customers.

I guess they figure that we are so stupid that we will buy a new machine to get better performance. Well guess what Dell we will, but it won't be from your company!

Get off your asses and update your drivers!!!

0 Kudos