Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2016 10:00

Is it worth fixing my laptop?

I have an Alienware 14 Gaming Laptop, that was purchased 3 years ago (Dec 2013). Recently the laptop fell off a table and got damaged. I was wondering if these things are worth repairing and if so can/should I go through Alienware or a local computer repair shop? I never purchased the extended warranty either.

Damages:

• The input for charging it was bent and the cord no longer fits to charge it
  • Track pad isn't functioning (This is lower priority)

Thanks,

Leif

2.3K Posts

December 15th, 2016 11:00

They could possibly fix the charging port but it being attached to the motherboard Dell will probably charge you for a new motherboard and the labor.  A local computer place could possibly re-bend it back into place.  Also the trackpad cable could have popped out and just needs to be reseated back in.

35 Posts

December 18th, 2016 12:00

Buy a replacement port and solder it into place. Buy 35 watt soldering iron, solder, solder wick, and a grounding wrist strap, then Google how to disassemble your laptop.  You can find case parts and other things on eBay and through different retailers online just Google search.

November 12th, 2017 12:00

Sorry for following up so late, but thank you very much for the responses. I ended up taking the laptop into a local place to get fixed and the power input and track pad were replaced for $190 for parts and labor; However, im starting to see a deteriorating speed on the laptop, with everything lagging heavily. It's running windows 10, so i decided to go back to windows 7, but when trying to install 7 it wasn't able to detect any hard drives to install the OS to. I ran a Diagnostic and got the below error message regarding my hard drive.

Error Code 2000-0142

Validation 116080

Msg: Hard Drive 0 - S/N WD-WXM1E83MPV01. Short self test unsuccessful

Do you potentially know if this is something worth fixing? I'd rather not purchase a new laptop if this is fixable for less than a few hundred, but I don't wanna sink money into a sinking ship either

Thanks!

-Leif

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 12th, 2017 15:00

If this laptop has a conventional spinning hard-disk-drive ... if the fall didn't damage it or shorten its life-span ... maybe old age just caught-up with it (they don't last forever).

Another good HDD test program is PassMark's (free) DiskCheckup

PassMark DiskCheckup - SMART hard drive monitoring utility 

If you have to replace the HDD, I suggest a SSD. You might have to give-up some space to keep it affordable, but for Windows, programs, and a few games ... a 240-256gb one should be fine. However, now-days, a 512gb might not be that much more money. Laptop will also boot and run programs faster (probably even faster and generally snappier than when new).

If you get a new laptop in a couple of years, you can maybe grab this SSD back-out and use it for new computer somehow. 

No Events found!