Highlighted
2 Bronze

Is this PNY GTX760 incompatible?

I recently purchased a PNY brand GTX 760, and it won't work. More correctly, neither of them will work. The first one would randomly stop sending a video signal, and it would make a horrible screeching noise if any audio was playing when this happened. I would have to reset it to get a picture again. Sometimes it would last about 30 minutes, sometimes hours. I was able to find where somebody was having a similar issue, but not with this computer or GPU. It was suggested that they upgrade their PSU. They followed the advice, but the issue persisted. He/She eventually deduced that it was his faulty new graphics card causing the issue. The issue was identical to mine. So, I sent that one back, and got a replacement delivered last Friday. I plug it in, start my PC, and nothing happens. The screen remains black. The other one did the same thing, but I was eventually able to get it to boot into safe mode. No such luck with this one. I unplug, replug, and check all of the connections. I retried about three times in all. No luck. However, my old GT 645 had no problem displaying a picture once I plugged it back in (first try). So, that makes me think it is an issue with that GPU and not with me. I would also like to note, it got really hot. I don't think the fan was functioning properly (on the GPU). I am pretty sure my case's fan wasn't blocked. I am also sure that I installed it correctly. My only issue came in plugging in the power cords. On the GPU the power-slots were numbered 2 and 3. On my PC, they were numbered 1 and 2. I plug two in to two and one into three. They fit without issue, I just thought it might be worth mentioning just in case. I am about to ask Newegg for an RMA (where I got the card both times), and I was just wondering if I should ask for a replacement or a refund.

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
3 Zinc

RE: Is this GPU incompatible?

Need a little info before anyone can make a suggestion. What model computer do you have (I.E. Aurora R3 X-51 etc. specs also) and what size PSU do you have? What BIOS version are you running?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Sorry, I forgot I was in the Alienware club, not just for the X-51's. I was referring to an X-51. 

Specs are

CPU: Intel Core I5 - 3330 @ 3.00Ghz  3.00Ghz

Ram: 8GB

GPU: GT 645

PSU: 330 Watt

(Tell me if you need any other specs.)

I'm running the Alienware A08 Bios. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Zinc

Ok. don't now much about the X-51's sorry. But it seems the PSU is pretty low for the new 700 series cards. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on ur system will chime in. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

RE: Is this PNY GTX760 incompatible?

GeForce GTX 760 cards will be offered by ... Galaxy, Gigabyte, Innovision 3D, MSI, Palit, PNY and ... The TDP on the card is 170 Watts and a 500 Watt power supply

http://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-2gb-video-card-review_2223

I think you will have a problem with most any powerful video card.  It's going to take some action on your part to find out the MAX wattage allowed for a video card.  Then find one that works.

Everything I see says 500-650 watts depending on what you have eating power on your PC.  Have a second or 3rd drive, sound card, SATA or eSATA card will leave even less for the video card

Mark
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Area 51 R2

Alienware 17 R3

Alienware - Area 51 R4

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Is this PNY GTX760 incompatible?

chaosclown16,

I do not see the i5-3330 on the X51-R1 list, but you mentioned Bios A08, so your system has to be the X51-R1. We never tested anything better than the Dell OEM Nvidia GeForce GTX660. Put our video card back in there. Disconnect all external USB devices except for the monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Then update the Bios to A11, then A12. Do not install A13. Once back into windows, make sure the system is ok. Then power off and try to add the PNY GTX760. Understand all of the video cards we offered were validated with our OEM 330w power supply. You cannot use any video card that uses more than 150w. The PNY GTX760 may require a bigger power supply.

0 Kudos