Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 21st, 2015 19:00

Issues booting after updating BIOS

I recently updated my Alienware Aurora R4 to Windows 10, which I am happy with, but I noticed that my fans were reallt loud during startup and shutdown, and I had to reset them manually in my Alienware Command Center application which was irritating, so after minimal research I saw that one of the suggested fixed was updating BIOS, which I foolishly thought would be a quick easy thing to try, so I updated from BIOS version A7 to A11 because I was unaware of flashing, which I realize now I definitely should've done. Anyway, the update seemed to work fine, no freezes or crashes, and I just restarted my computer and shutdown was normal. When it started up again though, instead of booting properly, it showed a windows 10 screen that said "your computer ran into a problem and needs to restart" with an error that said INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. So when it had restarted, I went into my BIOS settings and made sure my that the first boot device was "hard disk" (I do have two drives, an SSD and a HDD, but they've never caused me problems before and nothing was fixed when I took out the HDD without windows on it). So far I've restarted a bunch of times and tried everything I can think of. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

August 22nd, 2015 22:00

simple advice I gave a forum member the other day (it is possible the bios update reverted your settings to 'default'):

• check your bios,  set sata controller to AHCI
  • set #1 boot device as hard drive
  • others had luck in the bios switching to 'legacy boot'
  • remove all external usb devices for now accept keyboard/mouse in rear

Dell/Alienware advice says to disable secure boot ...

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

August 23rd, 2015 19:00

there are three threads this weekend on fans at 100% due to W10 upgrade, try to find them. the advice is to boot into W7 or W8, repair CmndCntr then boot into W10 hoping the fix will carry over. to repair Cmnd Cntr, launch CC.exe & clik repair, reboot / shutdown & boot into W10, see what's what, & browse the other threads for advice.

leave it on AHCI mode unless you have a RAID setup ...

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

August 22nd, 2015 13:00

Run Dell Diagnostics on the hard drive.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 22nd, 2015 14:00

Moving this thread to the Alienware Owners Club Forum, here:

en.community.dell.com/.../default.aspx

Bev.

12 Posts

August 22nd, 2015 21:00

How?

171 Posts

August 23rd, 2015 09:00

Have you resolved this issue yet? I'm having a similar problem with an ALX I assembled where it won't boot to my SSD and says "non system disk or disk error" after my SSD was moved from my original R4 to a new ALX chassis and motherboard.

12 Posts

Thanks a lot! AHCI mode did it, after two restarts. Should I switch it back at any point?

12 Posts

Oh! And one more thing, does anyone know how to get my fans to not be at 100% during startup/until I manually change them in Alienware Command Center?

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

August 23rd, 2015 21:00

I won't be using W10 for weeks or months so I encourage anyone with fan problems to experiment with a W10 setting called fast startup, & I ask you disable it as a test, if it works or doesn't, report back.

Desperate times call for desperate measures so on a hunch, I'm about to spam the forum with this fan testing nugget which has a very low probability of fixing anything on Auroras:

No Events found!