Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2012 19:00

Just bought a Alienware M18X R2 and...

i just bought a Alienware M18X R2 and it is being made as we speak, what i was wondering is because i got

CrossfireX 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7970M with it do i need to get any new drivers when it comes to me? from what i have been reading there have been problems with the crossfire and some games. any info would be of great help ty

2.4K Posts

July 14th, 2012 22:00

I can't speak about the 7970m but it is always best to check and update all the drivers when you get a new system. I'm sure something will be outdated on it.

Grats BTW!!

104 Posts

July 15th, 2012 00:00

Vaylen ,

i am in the same boat as you , but mine just shipped yesterday ( woooooooooo ) and i have the 7970m Xfire also and a little concerned , but i am also a big fan of AMD so i think once AMD actually get some decent drivers for AW we will be cool ..

if you head over to here forum.notebookreview.com/.../629367-m18x-amd-crossfire-driver-questions-performance-problems-discussion-thread.html theres a few tips and tricks for the 7970ms xfire

Hope it helps

Lee

18 Posts

July 15th, 2012 05:00

ty all, i guess i will just have to wing it lol. And i also like amd better.

18 Posts

July 15th, 2012 11:00

if anyone gets anymore info on this i would love to hear it.

104 Posts

July 15th, 2012 14:00

have a good read through that link i sent you , if anything does up them guys will know

August 6th, 2012 22:00

Hi all i just ordered a m18x with the 7970 crossfire is it true that there are no driver support for these cards . i have been reading a lot of people having issues with this ? of should i try and get the sli Nvidia cards if not too late , was ordered 06/08/2012 ( Melbourne )

18 Posts

August 7th, 2012 09:00

the cards work great whith the beta driver from amd's main site, now keep in mind that there are alot of games out there like wow and others that do not suport sli or crossfire soo on these you will be running the game on one card you can run wow or others on ultra on one card with 60fps with no drop. but you might have to when you get the computer with the 7970's ati cards you will probly have to call alienware tec support to have them put the new beta driver in your computer. but they do work great with the beta driver. and soon ati will come out with the main new driver for the cards.

August 7th, 2012 11:00

Thanks for the info Vaylen can not wait to get it ... Almost drooling lol

2.4K Posts

August 7th, 2012 19:00

the cards work great whith the beta driver from amd's main site, now keep in mind that there are alot of games out there like wow and others that do not suport sli or crossfire soo on these you will be running the game on one card you can run wow or others on ultra on one card with 60fps with no drop. but you might have to when you get the computer with the 7970's ati cards you will probly have to call alienware tec support to have them put the new beta driver in your computer. but they do work great with the beta driver. and soon ati will come out with the main new driver for the cards.

WOW gets a nice performance bump with SLI and Crossfire, always has. Then back when they added DX11 it jumped big time. I'v been playing since release and have always ran it with SLI, there has always been a noticable difference. 

Here's just one post on it.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4768327112

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3053897547

Edited by Kodiack on 8/24/11 8:42 PM (PDT)                               
                                    Single GPU average benchmarks:

Minimum FPS: 13.816
Average FPS: 62.087
Maximum FPS: 202.128

Triple GPU average benchmarks:

Minimum FPS: 27.029
Average FPS: 96.789
Maximum FPS: 359.112

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1305770941

CrossFire + D3D11 - 12/6/10
Minimum FPS: 2.097
Average FPS: 80.703
Maximum FPS: 188.454

No CrossFire + D3D11 - 12/6/10
Minimum FPS: 11.131
Average FPS: 49.638
Maximum FPS: 177.494

18 Posts

August 7th, 2012 20:00

as far as i know mate wow does not use sli or crossfire and only runs on one card, now i do not know if because you are using 2 cards sli or crossfire makes the cards run better, not having to run like back ground programs on only one card and such and can solo wow on the other card. but i know that it does not let the other card pick up any slack with wow and just helps with back ground programs soo that you see a boost. but this is just my thoughts >.> and im tired lol

2.4K Posts

August 8th, 2012 10:00

as far as i know mate wow does not use sli or crossfire and only runs on one card, now i do not know if because you are using 2 cards sli or crossfire makes the cards run better, not having to run like back ground programs on only one card and such and can solo wow on the other card. but i know that it does not let the other card pick up any slack with wow and just helps with back ground programs soo that you see a boost. but this is just my thoughts >.> and im tired lol

Well, now you know it does and always has supported SLI and Crossfire. If you don't believe me, if you don't believe Blizzard through the links I provided then I don't know what else to say. Background programs don't run on the GPU, the 2nd card or anything like that. That is not how it works.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 9th, 2012 07:00

All,

We are dealing with semantics here. Does WOW officially support SLI/CFX, no. Does WOW show FPS gains using SLI/CFX, yes.

No Events found!