Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2011 00:00

Just got my new m14x in today!

Is there anyway to turn off the intel HD graphicscard and just let my laptop run off nvidia 555m I have? The reason I ask is because when I sign up for some beta testing it would say my graphics card doesn't meet the requirements! =[

So is it best to leave it alone? I just wish when they scan your system your nvidia card would pop up >.<

10 Posts

I don't have my laptop with me now so I cannot be exact, but you can go into the global display setting / or Nvidia global display or something similar there and choose your Nvidia card as the default card.

I believe choose Nvidia as default will make your Alienware pretty warm..

215 Posts

August 2nd, 2011 09:00

I have a M14X also and I would suggest you leave it as is as well.  The system is supposed to select the proper card automatically.  If not, just right click on the shortcut of what you need to open for your beta testing and look for the display or card to be used in the menu and select the 555M as the default.  I don't have my computer here with me so i don't know what is says for sure.  But it should be obvious.

10 Posts

August 2nd, 2011 19:00

It is best to leave it alone to run on integrated card and only run on Nvidia when necessary.

Maybe you can temporary change the default graphic card just for your beta testing and change it back to the normal integrated card after signing up.

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 04:00

its a gaming laptop for a reason, why should we not be able to beta test with the graphics card that we payed to have put in

90 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 11:00

Thats not what they are saying.  If you right click whatever program you are trying to run and select "Run with graphics processor" then select "High performance NVIDIA processor" it should run the program with that card.  You can also change the settings in the Nvidia control panel for that program or change the default.  But you probably don't wan't to use that card all the time is what they are saying, the fans will run more the system will be hotter, the battery will die sooner.  Basically if you can leave the default and just get the program to run with the program with that card it would be better.

No Events found!