Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AC

November 27th, 2015 13:00

Killer 1535 wireless disconnecting

Got my Alienware 17 R3 about 15 days back.

The wireless connection keeps on disconnecting very now and then and more frequently on heavy loads. Have been troubleshooting with Dell support for over a week and yet no solution.

Have tried just about every thing under the sky with reinstalling drivers / updating etc.

Simply appalling to have such a stupid issue remain unresolved -

Spent 3000 GB Pounds and can't keep the machine connected in a stable state.

I hope someone from Alienware is reading this.

November 28th, 2015 21:00

My issue with my Killer Wireless card was fixed by the following procedure,

My issue was that my WIFI was stuck at around 12 Mbps speed, and was causing all kinds of issues.

!!!! IMPORTANT !!!! have your wireless card installer software downloaded and ready to be installed...

1. Open Device Manager

2. Find Network adapters, Find the Killer Wireless device.

3. Right click it and say Uninstall, if it allows tick the box that also deletes the driver files.

4. Run the Wireless card driver installer you previously should have downloaded.

5. Restart your computer.

6. Finally connect to your network again, and type the password.

Your issue should be solved and your WiFi card should not be stuck at 12 Mbps anymore.

I got my AC back from 12 Mbps to 866.7 Mbps with this method on my Alienware 17 R2 (Early 2015)

Hope this helps you guys out, don't waste your time removing the Killer Wireless adapter like I did, re-seating it did not fix it, it was a driver issue.

202 Posts

November 29th, 2015 05:00

I think all of us 17 R3 users have tried everything..

just disconnect and reconnect the connection when it drops quickly or the network adapter will disappear forever until a restart and there is no way to get it back

49 Posts

December 28th, 2015 01:00

The problem is most likely that Windows is putting the card to sleep. I faced the same issue until I did the following; open device manager, go to network adapters, right click, open properties, power management and uncheck "allow computer to turn off this device to save power".  Here's a link to a longer way to do the same thing but it has pictures: www.stenograph.com/.../How_to_disable_Power_Management_settings_on_your_WiFi_Adapter.htm Also, it is important that you run a speed test and then open Killer Network Manager and input the upload and download speeds you get in order for it to properly allocate bandwidth:

49 Posts

You don't need to uninstall your drivers. The problem is most likely that Windows is putting the card to sleep. I faced the same issue until I did the following; open device manager, go to network adapters, right click, open properties, power management and uncheck "allow computer to turn off this device to save power".  Here's a link to a longer way to do the same thing but it has pictures: www.stenograph.com/.../How_to_disable_Power_Management_settings_on_your_WiFi_Adapter.htm Also, it is important that you run a speed test and then open Killer Network Manager and input the upload and download speeds you get in order for it to properly allocate bandhttp://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN131119/EN

49 Posts

You don't need to uninstall your drivers. The problem is most likely that Windows is putting the card to sleep. I faced the same issue until I did the following; open device manager, go to network adapters, right click, open properties, power management and uncheck "allow computer to turn off this device to save power".  Here's a link to a longer way to do the same thing but it has pictures: www.stenograph.com/.../How_to_disable_Power_Management_settings_on_your_WiFi_Adapter.htm Also, it is important that you run a speed test and then open Killer Network Manager and input the upload and download speeds you get in order for it to properly allocate band_blank" href="http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN131119/EN" rel="nofollow ugc noopener noreferrer">www.dell.com/.../EN

49 Posts

The problem is most likely that Windows is putting the card to sleep. I faced the same issue until I did the following; open device manager, go to network adapters, right click, open properties, power management and uncheck "allow computer to turn off this device to save power".  Here's a link to a longer way to do the same thing but it has pictures: www.stenograph.com/.../How_to_disable_Power_Management_settings_on_your_WiFi_Adapter.htm Also, it is important that you run a speed test and then open Killer Network Manager and input the upload and download speeds you get in order for it to properly allocate band_blank" href="http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN131119/EN" rel="nofollow ugc noopener noreferrer">www.dell.com/.../EN

1 Message

May 27th, 2016 13:00

I have already unchecked the "allow computer to turn off device to save power" but I still have WiFi drops.  I gave up and removed the Qualcomm Atheros stuff and installed the Killer Networks WiFi suite.  This fixed the problem for a week or two but now I've started getting WiFi drops again.  The drops are less frequent (maybe 2-3 times per week) now but with my old Asus laptop I was only getting a WiFi drop about 2-3 times per year.  It's been a bit of a struggle to fix all of the bugs with this Alienware 17 R3 laptop but I think this is the last one.  I hope someone can come up with an effective fix for this WiFi glitch.

No Events found!