Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2016 02:00

Killer Network Wireless Adapter 1535 problems

Hello!

I have Alienware 15 R2 with Killer Network Wireless Adapter 1535 on board, Windows 10. And link quality is awful! Freezes, disconnects, huge ping to 3 meters far router (1100 ms) and other...

I saw several topics about the same problem, but I didn't find any solution.

I’ve updated to the latest version of Killer Siute from Killer web-site and from Dell web-site several times. Before I’ve deleted all Killer Software, all devices and drivers and then installed that suite….The same.

Then I repeated the same steps in safe mode (because just after deleting of Killer wireless adapter in device manager, Win 10 installs it automatically again), but Suite installation is finishing with error…Problem remains.

I tried to delete Killer Bandwidth Control from Wireless adapter properties – worse; I deleted and reinstalled Killer Bandwidth – problem remains. I disabled Killer network manager, putted the correct link speed – nothing…

Have I any chances to make this adapter workable or it’s better to change it on Intel?

16 Posts

October 29th, 2016 08:00

Then could somebody explain me, please, how killer chip can be the fastest, if signal's speed (ping) is worse then on Acer's old laptop?

For example, my laptop is downloading (f.e. from torrents) good (on a high speed), but when you are browsing it's horrible! Bad ping is showing himself.

That's why I've used the word "think" that yours Killer chip is workable.

16 Posts

October 29th, 2016 13:00

I've used at least 3 versions of drivers - the latest from Suite 279; 217 and 260 on 2 Killer chips and everything the same: big ping, router drops and slow Miracast сonsequently...

276 Posts

October 29th, 2016 16:00

Maybe you can find the same driver I'm using?

276 Posts

October 29th, 2016 18:00

Then could somebody explain me, please, how killer chip can be the fastest, if signal's speed (ping) is worse then on Acer's old laptop?

Sorry, somebody else will have to, I can't, because my pings are just fine (also, I don't have an old Acer laptop). Could not be happier with it. :-)

For example, my laptop is downloading (f.e. from torrents) good (on a high speed), but when you are browsing it's horrible! Bad ping is showing himself.

That's why I've used the word "think" that yours Killer chip is workable.

I'm sorry, I got the impression that you thought maybe I was mistaken about how well my Killer wifi is working. Believe me, I'm not; it is excellent. Browsing is fine, can't tell the difference between wired and wireless. File transfers of all sizes work fine, and I have long uptimes with no need to reset the wifi, ever (quite different from how this was when I received the laptop).

I think a 2TB directory sync over wireless is a pretty fair test, no problems there.

Look, I know exactly what you are experiencing, because my laptop was the same when new, but it is 100% OK now, has been for the past 11 months or so. Originally wifi wouldn't run for even a few hours without slowing down and dying.

Network Card - Killer Wireless-n|a|ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter
Vendor Name Qualcomm Atheros
Interface PCI Express x1
MAC Address 9c:b2:d0:02:44:0f
Adapter Connected Yes
Current Speed 144.40 Mbps
IP Address 192.168.0.61
IP Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway IP Address 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server 192.168.0.1
Adapter DHCP Enabled Yes
Driver Provider Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.
Driver Version 12.0.0.210, 1-15-2016

Killer Network Manager is 1.1.57.1686, but previous releases worked fine (as long as they weren't the original Dell one). IIRC, 1.1.56.1590 fixed the problem, subsequent updates (1.1.56.1603, 1.1.56.1651, 1.1.57.1679) all worked fine. I've had 1.1.57.1686 installed since March 2016.

16 Posts

October 31st, 2016 04:00

I've used the same driver's version 210 as you. It's pre-installed version by Windows (the oldest one). But my problem remains anyway.

I can transfer 2TB on my home router (Linksys) also without drops, but huge ping remains and I can't use wireless desktop properly.

On 3 office routers (two TP-links, one Asus) it's just impossible to work for anyone, when i'm starting my laptop.

Cause Dell support had send me another Killer chip after Techical diagnostic, I' writing now the memoirs letter about "how I am having problems for 2.5 bucks?" And only then they will send me the Intel chip maybe.

13 Posts

October 31st, 2016 12:00

I'll play ball. What setup and exact version do I need to run so the killer runs without issues. Am I losing the advantages of a Killer card by not using the Killer Network Manager? My new laptop arrives today.

13 Posts

October 31st, 2016 15:00

Well, knowing Dell as I do, it will come with the bad drivers already on it.   (I'm a 27 year IT Pro and I have a Pet peeve about shoddy driver support.)

Atheros cards are known to have issues BTW.

I also have full logging capabililites for my enterprise grade ap's, so I can diagnose wireless issues from both sides.

276 Posts

October 31st, 2016 15:00

I'll play ball. What setup and exact version do I need to run so the killer runs without issues. Am I losing the advantages of a Killer card by not using the Killer Network Manager? My new laptop arrives today.

Generally, the steps are:

Unpack laptop

Switch it on

Initialise Windows

Enjoy!

Don't waste time worrying about something that while it might be a problem for some people, isn't a problem for most; it is highly likely that you will have no problems.

Then you can return your Intel wifi card :-) 

13 Posts

October 31st, 2016 18:00

Windows 10 is force updating a Killer wifi  driver from 10-16-16 should be interesting to see the results.

November 1st, 2016 13:00

Can you please email killersupport@rivetnetworks.com directly when you get a chance?  For some reason the previous email did not make it to our ticket system.  We'll need a diagnostic to see if we can troubleshoot this problem with you.

To obtain diagnostics, you go to C:\Program Files\Killer Networking\Network Manager\KillerDiagnose\KillerDiagnose.exe. If you are running our older software, this may instead be located at C:\Program Files\Qualcomm Atheros\Network Manager\KillerDiagnose\KillerDiagnose.exe. Please run this and attach the output/results to your email.

Please be sure to send it with a title about your ping issue so I can make sure I see it and match it with you once it comes in.

16 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 06:00

killernetworking, I can't make a diagnostic, because I've deleted all software by Killer. Only "naked" driver v.279 with deleted Bandwidth filter.

And new adapter is working the same bad as old one.

November 2nd, 2016 07:00

I have an AW 17 R3 and this was also one of the issue i have encountered. Downloading and installing form Dell Download support page will just make things more complicated sooner. I found out the hard way, since my motherboard was replaced, a fresh installation was needed and guess what, no default image recovery for my unit, so luckily, Windows 10 updated all the drivers. The only thing I needed to manually updated was the graphics drivers. Wifi was fixed but windows 10 take good care of it.

16 Posts

November 7th, 2016 10:00

So…Technical Support changed the chip and antennas, they disassembled my new laptop (cause the antenna lies around the display), but problem remains!! Ping is huge!...so bad that I can't upload the screenshots here...ping is 100 ms!

Can you imagine how I’m using internet with such ping?....i’m not talking about wireless display – it’s absolutely impossible to use!

I've made the Killer diagnostic and start to read this report and found in “Network protocols” that “ms_ndiswanlegacy – NDIS-driver is outdated” Can it be fault cause? Who knows?

16 Posts

December 6th, 2016 04:00

Should it helps, if Dell will change my laptop on new?

Or it's the only way to buy the Intel chip?

No Events found!