Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 27th, 2015 08:00

Laptop Alienware 18 trouble with video cards while working.

Hello. I have problem with my videocards in laptop Alienware 18.
The troble with cloks ubnder load(in games).
Laptop specs:
I7-4800MQ
Nvidia GTX 780M SLI
The problem lies in the frequency jumps. It looks like trottling but it isn't it.
While test in Furmark clocks change betwen 614 and 849MHz so 2 seconds it have 849MHz and 6 seconds 614MHz. When there is clock's jump coolers reduce turnover. Videocards temps are over 65(614)-77(849) сelsius degrees. Screenshot: http://goo.gl/om6ESq
But in Call of Duty Advanced Warfare runs at 849MHz and 78-79 degrees but sometimes it go down to 614 and 74 degrees after go back to 849 again.
Far Cry 4 have same problem. While this jump fps diminished and it is become impossible to play.
GTA V work normal. GTA V haven't jumps because videocards works at 70-80%. Battlefield 3 have sometimes jumps(1-2 times per hour, videocards work at 99%).
I have this laptop over one and a half year but this problem detect only now when begin playing with Msi Afterburner statistics. Laptop stands on the table and haven't any problems with cooling. I cleaned it already once(only clean the fans). I tried to modifice BIOS temperature of videocard. Default: temp targer 92 Max temp target 93. I am add 5 degrees to these values but haven't any changes. By the way I disabled all power-saving features in windows.
What can I do with this problem, how reduce it?

April 27th, 2015 16:00

Hello Conwers,

This problem might be hardware as well as it might be software, try this:

1- Go to our official website.

2- Click on Alienware Drivers And Applications.

3- Enter your Service Tag.

4- Download the latest BIOS (if it's the same BIOS version you have, re-flash the BIOS with that version).

5- Re-install the video driver following the steps on this article and try the latest video card driver from Nvidia

If the GPU clock speeds continue to jump in an odd fashion, try disabling the SLI, this will let you know if there's a problem with the SLI cable and/or both video cards.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 30th, 2015 09:00

Good  day. I done all these paras but haven't any results(one card works not normaly too), frequency continue jumping. I try to change thermal compound and temperaturas go down from 77 to 67-69 degrees. So there is shouldn't be throttling. But frequency continue jumping in FurMark and in the games too. What else do you advise to do?

April 30th, 2015 15:00

Seems that the video card and the SLI needs to be replaced. If you live in the US or Canada, and your computer is still in warranty, send me a PM for me to further assist you.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2015 03:00

Good day. I am living in the Ukrain and laptop already haven't warranty. Where can I go to replace video and the SLI (maybe at my expence). What else can you advice to check this problem or may be solve it? If this software problem?  

No Events found!