Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2011 21:00

M11X Freezes with a buzzing sound, help

Hi this is my first post and i have to say that my experience with my m11x has been a good one but it could be excellent only for one thing.

My alienware randomly freezes and makes this buzzing sound, but this never happens when i play a game, it only happens with basic processes like using the internet dowloading files or watching a movie then all of a sudden it freezes.

I thought that this issue ocurred when i was on discrete graphics since it never happens when im gaming, so i turned on the gpu all the time but it happened again.

I really like my m11x and im looking for a possible solution, im also on OC and always plugged to AC.

I got a nvidia geforcegt335m and how do i check the drivers?

i recently updated with the ones in the dell page its says in monitor properties version: 70.15.3c.0.a6 but this happens since day one.

86 Posts

What GPU and driver version?

April 11th, 2011 08:00

To check your drivers go to your Control Panel, then to Device Manager.  It will have a drop down menu with all of the components on the computer.  Selct the display for example and you should see two choices, the intel  and the Nvidia;select waxh one and you will get a window with four tabs.  One of the tabs id the driver.

You can do this with all of the components from the Device manager.

April 11th, 2011 16:00

Interesting the one I just downloaded last week from the Dell site is 8.17.12.5730 dated 5/26/2010.  I had a bunch of problems with freezing etc (no buzzing though) and Dell/Alienware replaced my Motherboeard and Hard drive.  So far it has ran smoother than ever.

Have you called the ALienware support line and talked with them?  Let them go through tests on your computer to see if it is something they can replace.  Hopefully your computer is still under warranty.

April 11th, 2011 16:00

Ok so the version of my driver is 8.17.12.6308

April 11th, 2011 17:00

hmm i just checked my warranty and it expires until april 2012 the problem its that i live in mexico do you know if i can still send it from a dell center here?

April 11th, 2011 17:00

I would call the Alienware tech support at 866-287-6727.  They tested mine via the internet.  I did not have to send it anywhere.  The technician also came to my office and did the work at a desk next to me. 

April 11th, 2011 20:00

I think i will try that but first i want to reinstall windows 7 do you know how can i do it since the m11x doesn't have a disc reader, can i do it via usb? or i need to mount an image of the disc that came with my alienware?

because many other m11x users had the same issue and a OS reinstall fix it. What was the issue with yours and what trigger it?

April 11th, 2011 21:00

Thanks.

April 11th, 2011 21:00

I unfortunately had no idea what triggered it and to be honest am not sure if it is fixed.  All i know is that it has ran smoothly for about a week now.

I purchased an optical reader so I installed via a disc.  I am not sure if an image of the disc will work or not.  The tech folks may be able to re-install over the internet......not sure though.

Good luck.

May 2nd, 2011 21:00

Ok, so i contacted Dell here in Mexico via e-mail they told me to run some test's removing the hard drive and stuff like that, after two weeks that took to run the tests they told me that a technician  will arrive at my place from 1 to 5 days. He came today it only took him two days (obviously saturday and sunday) and replace the motherboard, so thanks Dell for the great service and the alienware owners that aid me.
so i hope this solves the issue POST SOLVED.
No Events found!