Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2011 12:00

M11x Games Freezing

This is an ongoing problem with many users on notereview's forums having the same issue. The steps are as occurs:

the issue has been described many times but for last time sakes lets put it here:

-playing random game
-freezes in "x" amount of time
-alt tab (does not usually work) or control alt delete out of the game
-game does not close
-m11x is still functional in other purposes but again, the game is still frozen
-cannot shut down or reboot
-must press power button to power off to reboot again
-seemly does not have an effect based on whether oc'd or not. even if all oc'd settings are off, it still happens
-occurs in a lot of games (NOT JUST GAMES BY BLIZZARD)
-if your m11x is prone to freezing, pretty much all games will freeze

Like I said, I've tried OC on and off. I've tried clean installs of the 335m drivers both on dell's and nvidia. Neither of them fix this problem. I don't know what the problem is but there is over 20 pages of the same situation. Is there a fix yet?

4 Posts

January 18th, 2011 19:00

Ongoing threads from notebook review:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m11x/526128-nvidia-geoforce-gt-335m-causes-game-crashes-12.html

and

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m11x/494366-totally-random-lockups.html

and

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m11x/545868-m11x-r2-problem-playing-mmos.html

along with the many other minor threads here and there that state this problem.

can we do anything to assist this search?

one user notes it might be the memory module:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m11x/548402-random-freezes.html

January 19th, 2011 05:00

Experiencing the exact same issue since purchasing the R2. It´s completely random and can occur 3 times in 10 mins or not for hours. Makes playing games a frustrating experience and I specifically bought this netbook for playing games. Can we get a confirmation that Dell/Alienware acknowledges this issue and are working on a solution? And like the OP said: can we provide any data that will assist this?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 19th, 2011 06:00

Acknowledge and working? Not from engineering.

* All gaming should be done with the AC adapter plugged in
* Make sure you have reloaded the Dell Bios, Dell video card driver, Dell Command Center
* All overclocking should be disabled and the Bios set to our Factory defaults
* M11x, make sure you pressed FN+F6 and chose Discrete before gaming
* M11x-R2, right click on the game icon on the desktop
* Highlight "Run with graphics processor"
* Left click High-performance NVIDIA processor
NOTE: This is a one time selection and the settings will revert to the the default application profile, the next time the application is launched

431 Posts

January 19th, 2011 08:00

All gaming should be done with the AC adapter plugged in

So much for gaming on the GO! 

431 Posts

January 19th, 2011 08:00

My laptop games fine on battery probably because its not an Alienware and it caters to all gamers.

4 Posts

January 19th, 2011 15:00

All steps were done and it does not help

14 Posts

January 20th, 2011 05:00

Just wanted to add my experiences to the thread.

I have a brand-new M11X-R2 that always run on power adapter (like it matters) and on the NVidia GPU for all games.

Seems clear that its just some games that will produce this issue.  And also, at least in my case, this only happens in games. So it seems that theres an issue with a lot of games not being compatable with the GeForce 335M card. But even so, the processes should not hang in such a way that the only way out is to force-shutdown using the power button on the laptop.

This is the games ive tried:

Warhammer 40k Dawn Of War - No issues

Lineage 2 C7 - Freezes after 20-30mins. Everytime.

Lord of the rings Online - Freezes randomly, often in places that would use more GPU and mem. Still the game is nowhere near the maximum potential of the M11X.

From reading other posts i gather that WoW has the same problem. So it seems theres an issue with MMORPGs or just older games.

Has Dell acknowledged that this is a problem? I dont think you can find many M11X-users that can play, for instance, WoW without issues.

January 20th, 2011 07:00

I can acknowledge WoW has the exact same issues. Just read the notebookreviews thread, I estimate at least 30% of the posts concern WoW players. Blizzard has already acknowledged this is an issue and they will look into it (also see the relevant post about it in the notebookreview thread), but since its occurring in other games as well, its essentially a Dell/Alienware issue.

431 Posts

January 20th, 2011 07:00

I agree it happens In other games so its not Blizzards problem. I also have a laptop with a 335m and it plays WoW just fine.

14 Posts

January 20th, 2011 15:00

I agree it happens In other games so its not Blizzards problem. I also have a laptop with a 335m and it plays WoW just fine.

Just to clarify. 

You say you have a 335M graphics card on a laptop other then M11X that works without these issues? 

So we can definitely say that this isnt an Nvidia-issue at all, its more in the lines of a Dell/Alienware-issue? 

431 Posts

January 20th, 2011 16:00

Yessir I have a 335m on an Asus laptop I play WoW and SC2 on it just fine, along with call of duty and other games. I havent tried any really old games tho. WoW is the oldest.

14 Posts

January 21st, 2011 02:00

Yessir I have a 335m on an Asus laptop I play WoW and SC2 on it just fine, along with call of duty and other games. I havent tried any really old games tho. WoW is the oldest.

Having learned that we should just drop all driver-related issues and focus on Why-oh-why the M11X crashes in this way?

Chris, help? :)

406 Posts

January 21st, 2011 03:00

Laptops are not ment for gaming. If you want to game buy a Desktop.

14 Posts

January 21st, 2011 04:00

Laptops are not ment for gaming. If you want to game buy a Desktop.

Thanks for chiming in.

Laptops are meant for gaming, generally. The Alienware M11X was produced and is soled as a GAMING LAPTOP. Only reason i bought it.

Just to update on the issue at hand. I have reverted all my drivers to the ones on the Dell Support Site. Still have the issue. 

431 Posts

January 21st, 2011 06:00

Some may think that. But thats not the point, the product sold to him should WORK because it was sold as a gaming laptop. AND I game on my laptop everyday at work...you cant bring a desktop to work. That is just one scenario why they have laptops specifically built for gaming. So yes laptops can be meant for gaming.

No Events found!