Highlighted
oaninor
1 Nickel

M11x R3 sound card upgrade, is that possible?

Hi, when I bought my M11x R3 few weeks ago, I order all the biggest options available excepting HD and memory because I know that you don’t work with Kingston and I love the brand. My M11 works awesome but is just really sad that an i7 with so awesome video card for a tiny laptop must sound with the lame Realtek sound card.

When I receive my box, just a few days later I could note that the Sound Blaster X-Fi options is available and for the almost symbolic cost of 20 bucks (come on, who in this world would not choose SB X-FI over Realtek in a 1.4k$ laptop?, and for 20$?), so I was wondering if I could buy the upgrade for my laptop. I must assume that the 20$ bargain is only for new systems and must be a little more expensive, but for have a decent sound in my great laptop, I’m willing to pay the price.

I know about the USB solutions of Creative but I choose the M11 for being portable so I really hate pack in my travel backpack anything more than the ac adapter and the mouse.

And if this is possible, I could pay the upgrade to for the WIFI card, the Killer options was not available either when I bought my laptop.  Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Bouddha
2 Iron

Re: M11x R3 sound card upgrade, is that possible?

Hi oanimor, happy you enjoy your R3, I am also a proud owner and I love this machine.

You shouldn't be worried about the x-fi option, it is actually a modified driver that simulates the x-fi effects on the realtek soundcard. From what I heard, not worth it and more prone to create compatibility problems.

You just avoided a waste of 20 bucks so you can relax Smiley Wink

M11x R3 - i7 2617M - RAM 8Go - GeForce GT 540M 2Go - Momentus XT 500Go - Intel wifi N6300 - Dell Bluetooth 375

0 Kudos
goonielife
2 Iron

My guess is that the speakers are a much bigger problem than the sound card, which is certainly part of the mobo and not able to be upgraded.  I also second what Bouddha said, I am pretty sure the SB is just software.

0 Kudos
Bouddha
2 Iron

it's mentionned as software in the option list when you configure your laptop.

I was curious about this point and if  you look out a bit on forums people speak about this option and the major opinion was that it wasn't worth it.

I find the speakers quite acceptable compared to the other laptops of the same category.

M11x R3 - i7 2617M - RAM 8Go - GeForce GT 540M 2Go - Momentus XT 500Go - Intel wifi N6300 - Dell Bluetooth 375

0 Kudos
oaninor
1 Nickel

hi everyone, sorry for answer so late. I was checking and indeed, the option says software enabled. looks like a cheat to me, I was hoping for a real X-FI sound card, especially because I have a creative 7.1 speaker system and only sound blaster cards can use them at all his potential for the fourth contact on the black plug. I don't mind the speakers because on the go I use my bose ear buds and in home I use my creative speakers. I doubt that I never could see again speakers like I have in a compaq that I own years ago. harman kardon speakers that kicks in clarity and power lots of "5.1 hifi systems".  :P

I will buy the x-fi USB solution then. thanks a lot for clear me the fake "sound blaster sound" that dell is offering but I'm still interested in the Killer WIFI card. if the performance is similar to my K1, I definitely want it. the question is how I can buy the upgrade? since is even easier to install than the sound card (which I was believing that is located in the I/O card on the laptop, the one with the 3.0 ports), I just want to buy the card and then dell could sent it to me. or I must wait for the technician come to my home. I don't know.

thanks a lot for your help guys.  =D

0 Kudos