Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 3rd, 2010 14:00

M11x refurb. Enabled overclock setting in bios now it won't boot.

Just purchased two of these, one for me and one for my spouse.

After installing all the windows updates and getting firefox and other things set up, I rebooted the computer and figured I'd give OC a shot. I enabled it and exited bios and the laptop would not boot again.

I called tech support, they asked me to tear down the machine and disconnect the CMOS battery which I did, it did not fix the situation. Is there a way to reset the CMOS other than disconnecting the battery? The tech scheduled me for a motherboard replacement on Monday but I would rather not wait it out if there is another fix available.

Service tag on the non working m11x is <ADMIN NOTE:Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Thanks in advance.

December 3rd, 2010 14:00

Something else I forgot to mention. When trying to start the computer the fan kicks on, then off almost immediately. All of the colored lights stay on until I hold the power button.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 3rd, 2010 16:00

Same thing happened to another forum user when trying OC AW laptop.

Remove AC adapter and main run battery, press main power button to drain, remove CMOS battery, press power to drain, wait 30 minutes before re-attaching any batteries...

Worked for them

December 3rd, 2010 16:00

I tried this earlier and it didn't solve the issue. I'm about to leav e for the evening so I just took it apart again. Pressed the power button after removing main battery, pressed the power button again after removing CMOS battery. I'll check back later on tonight and let everyone know my results. I really was looking forward to using this thing this weekend!

December 3rd, 2010 21:00

I left the CMOS and main batteries disconnected for about 4 hours and after I put it back together it still refuses to boot. Just a fan spinup and shutoff and ambient lighting. Any other suggestions?

27 Posts

December 4th, 2010 00:00

Might be worth checking the RAM is properly installed, if it looks good then try removing one stick at a time and rebooting the laptop. The owners manual will show what order the RAM modules can be installed. It might just be a bad stick of memory that died with the increase in FSB and voltage when you tried to overclock.  If you remove the bad stick it will boot up using the remaining good one.

Sounds like tech support are assuming that you have a corrupt bios chip and want to replace the board.

Good luck

Cobbie

No Events found!