Highlighted
dc78
1 Copper

Re: M14x Left Hinge Defect

Sorry to hear about another dissatisfied Dell customer.  There is not really much we can do.  I will no longer buy any Dell products.

DC

dahodge
1 Copper

My son bought this computer with his own money. It's only 9 months old. It doesn't have any scratches and is well-cared for. He uses it to play video games. Many gamers recline in gaming chairs and thus have the computer open to an angle that works for viewing in this position. Now I'm told it's only to be opened at certain angles. The left hinge has popped out. I'm told it's $430 to repair and i should count myself lucky that I don't have to pay the full price of the LCD --- which he has not broken ---- it's that their design requires replacement of lcd when this part fails.

0 Kudos
kimuchibox4000
1 Copper

The answer I got from dell support was that I would have to send it off to Dell (I'm also covered by next business day support warranty, albeit not accidental damage) - it is frustrating that I need to send it off to them, especially with finals coming up, but there is not much that can be done. I'm planning to send mines off once this hectic semester is over.

0 Kudos
dtmathews
1 Copper

I purchased an Alienware M14x laptop earlier this year, 2013, in February.  Within one week of using this laptop, the left hinge broke from regular use.  I had not in that week, and still have not after two months of use, dropped, damaged, or abused this laptop in any way. I called Alienware three days after the left hinge broke, told them when and how it broke, and the Alienware technician with whom I was speaking told me that such is not covered under the warranty, and that my best option was to ship the computer to Dell and pay about $400 for a repair, which includes a new LCD screen for the laptop.  The LCD screen that is currently on my laptop is not damaged, however, and functions perfectly. The left hinge on my Alienware M14x laptop broke due to regular use.  After reading numerous cases similar to mine on the Internet, on and off Dell forums, I cannot be convinced that there is not a design flaw about the left hinge for the M14x model.  Fortunately, for me, I can still use my $1500+ Alienware M14x laptop as a computer, but I am deeply worried about transporting it off my desk in my dorm room.  I am a college student, and I move around constantly between classes and work.  I deem my Alienware M14x laptop as such to be too fragile to transport, and now functions essentially as a desktop in my dorm room because I'm too worried to risk aggravating the damage in transporting it elsewhere.  I do not have the money or the time to spend on shipping my Alienware M14x laptop to Dell, so I am typing now from the library of my university on a Google Chromebook that I just purchased last week for about $250; this Chromebook will be my regular laptop now, as I can no longer rely on my Alienware M14x laptop for mobility anymore.  I could barely afford my Chromebook, despite how cheap it was relative to the cost for repairing my Alienware M14x laptop, but it was the most convenient and fiscal option for me to purchase this Chromebook and use it as my regular laptop now. I will not pay Dell to fix its own mistake.  And until Dell compensates for this mistake and the inconvenience it has caused me and its other customers who have experienced this same left hinge malfunction, I will no longer be purchasing from Dell, and will tell other potential customers who inquire me about my experience with my Alienware M14x laptop to beware. I'm not even angry anymore, I'm just sad that I feel I can no longer trust Dell with my money anymore.  My Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop lasted me seven years, since I was barely a teenager running Windows XP, before I required a new laptop this year.  Dell has a negative stereotype in my local community--I loved my Dell Inspiron 1501 being the exception to the rule.  Perhaps that's all it was.

0 Kudos
dc78
1 Copper

Sorry to hear about your problems. The best we can do is document the problems on the Web.

I have also had good luck with Dell products in the past.  I had  similar problem as you have had with an Alienware M14x.  I will no longer purchase Dell products.

One would think that Dell would not want to aggravate their customers to the point that they will no longer be a customer. 

DC

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Right. It's wasteful and expensive to replace the (working perfectly) LCD panel. I requested that Dell put together some "self repair kits" with just the hinges, screws, and case covers (so it would be affordable) for the different models. They said the inexpensive hinges and case covers were not available as separate parts. I challenged their logic, but they were un-accommodating. It's a simple request and obviously possible (since the complete LCD assemblies aren't magically created as complete units). It was a frustrating exchange.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Failianware
1 Copper

M14x-R2 Hinge Complaint

Well I just recently bought an m14xR2 its 3 weeks old and I can CONFIRM the left hinge problem is certainly a manufacturer defect. I have opened this laptop literally only 3 times and I notice the left hinge is starting to separate from the base. I sent it off for repair. Oh and did I mention I have bought 3 alienwares off of dell in the past month first was an x51 have had no problems so far, the m14x with left hinge defect after 3 weeks. and I put in an order for an alienware aurora r4. I noticed the m14x defect after I put in the order for the aurora.. if I seen this before hand I would have not put in an order for another. if this is not fixed you bet your <profanity> I will be returning that aurora and getting my 1,500 dollars back.

0 Kudos
RocketPowerYUL
1 Copper

I have the same issue that appeared almost exactly 18 months after purchase in July 2011. Not only is the left hinge broken but my screen is banding and I'm getting noise on the screen. Sometimes the screen just fades, gets snowy and stops refreshing until I wiggle the screen. This is so frustrating my Inspiron 6400 is still working fine since 2006 as a home server. I thought I would be getting something even better with upgrading to Alienware. Dell you are a disgrace, your response is a disgrace and these laptops should be repaired for free. STAND BY YOUR PRODUCTS or you will become even more insignificant than you already have become with the decline of the PC business.

So I pried open the screen only to find a broken cheap piece of plastic attached to a metal plate see pic link below. Note the screw that's mangled and was never touched by me with a screwdriver, I'll swear in court to this. This is shoddy manufacturing at it's best. Luckily this is only a premium laptop and our wallet is the only victim.

Worn screw

Broken pieces found (also seems like the part left of the hinge is loose now since it broke off the metal bracket behind it).

How my screen acts sometimes (only one of many psychedelic things I see when *trying* to work

Also the two plastic rods inserted into the left metal part of the hinge seen to the left of the mangled screw are falling out as if whatever was holding it behind the metal part separated at some point. I think I nixed the screen effect by checking the connectors and tightening the mangled screen so there is no more give in that area. The screen also no longer makes that heart breaking cracking sound when I open it. I think the failure mode seen here involves the fact that greyish support structure the metal attaches too is not as screwed down as much as the right side. The right side seems to have 2 rivets and a screw, while the left side has a gaping hole and a slot for a plastic rod to slide in from behind. When I open and close the screen, you can clearly see the left side separating from the back of the lid which seems to be causing flex stress to the hinge components, eventually leading to the failure. I would like Dell to respond to the why they decided to design this structure this way, knowing how much resulting give there is. I hope the R2 has this part redesigned.
Left side
Right side

The difference is obvious no?

Left side substructure at rest

Left substructure flex clearly noticeable when I induce a closing-lid force at the top of the screen

Can Dell seriously defend this as wear and tear?

0 Kudos

The policy will not be changed by complaining out here. You need to post these complaints on Dell IdeaStorm to get any traction.

0 Kudos