Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 19th, 2014 21:00

M14x-R2, Motherboard Replacement

I was playing a steam game on my Alienware M14x-R2 when it just gave out on me. It was currently charging but when I looked at the indicator light after it died I noticed that it was off too.

It does not power back up at all. The blue indicator light for my charger still lights up when I plug it into a socket but turns off as soon as I plug it into the laptop.  

I looked around the internet and it looks like I'm going to need a motherboard replacement ( a confirmation by someone would be nice.) 

I'm outside of the one year warranty so I ask: Can I still send in my laptop and have dell fix it for a price, and how much am I looking at? Or, does anyone know where I can purchase a motherboard and do it myself or have someone else do it (and how much that would be)?

A dell page I found for expired warranties says $269 which includes replacement or repair of the part and it specifically includes motherboards. However, I'm not sure if that includes alienware laptops.

The same page also showed me where I could purchase replacement parts for my system, however it did not include the motherboard.

901 Posts

December 20th, 2014 01:00

Hi, I recommend you try a complete power drain before forking out any money.

Disconnect all power sources and then follow instruction on the link below to remove the coin cell battery, this battery needs to be remove to complete a full power drain and reset the CMOS and BIOS.

After you have completed battery and power removal, wait approx 30 minutes before re-assembly.

Reboot your system and with a little luck it will fix your problem, if not then you will probably need a new mobo

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_alienware_laptops/alienware-m14x-r2_owner%27s%20manual_EN-US.pdf

December 20th, 2014 01:00

Thanks for the reply!

Will try that first thing in the morning.

Edit:

*plugged adapter into socket; blue light turns on

*plugged adapter into laptop and the blue light turns off

-----------------------------

*plugged out adapter

*took out battery

*held power button for 30 seconds, and also waited ~30 minutes

*plugged adapter into socket; blue light turns on

*plugged into laptop(now with no battery); blue light turns off

---------------------------------------

*took out adapter

*held power button for 30 seconds, and also waited ~30 minutes

*placed battery back in

*tried turning on with just battery; no response

*plug adapter into socket; blue light turns on

*plug adapter into laptop; blue light turns off

--------------------------------------

I guess I can try draining the power again and then just use the adapter directly (rather than trying battery first)

Also, there is this "tick" sound when the adapter turns off after plugging it into the laptop.

However, I guess this confirms that something is wrong with mobo.

So, can anyone answer my original question about replacing the mobo and the cost?

December 20th, 2014 14:00

double post

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 20th, 2014 15:00

Expired Warranty Service Laptops
Call 800-288-4410, enter your Express Service Code. You will be routed to the appropriate technician. For $59, the technician will diagnose the problem to determine if there has been a hardware failure. After diagnosis by a Dell technician, we will send you packaging and instructions to mail your notebook to a repair facility. The repair facility will contact you with a quote for the repair. Starting at $179 for anything except motherboards and LCDs, which are subject to an additional charge. We will not know the exact price until the computer is in the hands of the Depot Repair technicians. They will troubleshoot and contact you with a quote. All replacement parts will be refurbished. They will make sure the computer post and boots into windows. But, they are not responsible for saving your games, MP3's, documents, favorites, etc.

Or, search the internet for the Dell part numbers below and buy the motherboard from a 3rd party =
Y7YHC (Motherboard RH50G, Thermal Pad F1RJC, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX650m)
693T7 (Motherboard VG4D4, Thermal Pad F1RJC, 1GB Nvidia GeForce GTX650m)

December 20th, 2014 17:00

Is it safe to assume then that this information take from below is wrong?

dell.com/learn/us/en/19/services/out-of-warranty

"You already know you have a hardware issue with your device and you just want to send it to us to fix. We are here to help. 

Choose one of the two mail in options:

Repair for your Hard Drive, Memory Issues, DVD drive, Network & other Cards - Only $159**

Repair for your LCD, Motherboard, Solid State Drive or Processor - Only $269

Prices include repair or replacement of the part, labor and shipping. You send it to us and we’ll ship it right back fixed up. It’s that easy.***

Some models may not be supported.

** Motherboard, LCD, Processor, Solid State Drive, Battery and Adaptors will cost extra and we will contact you should your diagnostics require one of these parts."

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 20th, 2014 18:00

That cannot be correct. $269 for "Prices include repair or replacement of the part, labor and shipping.". Look at the price of just the motherboard at these sites:
$575
$524
$491

Click the Chat button and see what they say.

December 20th, 2014 18:00

I clicked to chat and it asked for my service tag. After seeing that I was out of warranty it wouldn't let me chat, which is kind of off if this is an out of warranty service.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 20th, 2014 23:00

Agreed. Call the number in my first post.

1 Message

January 27th, 2016 11:00

any update on this? I am having the same exact problem with my alienware m14x r2. Upon calling Alienware's out of warranty support service, my laptop "is no longer supported." So I need to find a 3rd party repair service or purchase a new laptop. 

January 27th, 2016 12:00

I ended up trying to get it fixed by geek squad. They said they couldn't since they don't carry the motherboard.

You're going to have to find a new/used motherboard somewhere and either replace it yourself or have someone else do it.

Or just buy a new laptop.

My laptop is just collecting dust :( apparently this laptop has known heating issues which causes the motherboard to die out. 

No Events found!