Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2012 15:00

M14x white screen on startup

As of late when I wake up my computer from hiberation mode or turn it on, I get a bright, white screen for sometimes up to 10 seconds, then it will start it's normal routine. Anyone else ever had this happen to any other models? It froze with the white screen today and forced me to do a hard reboot. Any ideas?

June 1st, 2012 16:00

Hi Keith, try out this article: http://dell.to/N4Bg4N . If after doing this and a BIOS update on your machine (please do not turn it off in the middle of that) your computer is having the same issue please send us an e-mail to AWSocialMedia@dell.com including your phone number and service tag and we will call you as soon as possible.

22 Posts

July 15th, 2012 00:00

Just a quick update. Tried all of the remedies you listed, will be emailing you my info shortly.

22 Posts

July 15th, 2012 23:00

Today I went ahead and reupdated the intelHD drivers also, no change. The computer plays The Secret World, World of Tanks, and Guild Wars 2 on high setting with no problems. The white screen only occurs on startup and wakeup from hibernation. Is there a way to check and see if my Vid card is bad? Alien autopsy detected no problems. This all began around the time i got a big Windows update and installed it. Could there be a corrilation between the two?

July 16th, 2012 08:00

There can definitely be a connection between those 2 events, perhaps you should try taking the computer back to the factory image. Here is how!

22 Posts

August 6th, 2012 02:00

Update!

I was shutting my computer down/hibernation each time I was finished using it. The other day, I got preoccupied and left it on and it went into sleep mode,i.e. blank screen, keyboard still lit up. when I came back, it worked fine, no white screen. Now, the white screen problem only happens if I shut it all the way down, but I tend to use my laptop like a desktop, it stays in one place all the time, and when I am gaming, i keep the powercord connected. I have not expierenced any problem gaming with the video setting set to high or ultra on most games, and I tend to try to fiqure out the problem myself before having to call support, but I am at a loss. If the card was going bad, would it not do this all the time? Also, would it play games on the max settings without problems? I have updtaed drivers/BIOS did Autopsy and ran every other test I know of. If I take my computer back to factory image, do i lose all my installed programs? I know that might be a stupid question, but I am just making sure before I do anything drastic, so I know what to expect afterwards.

August 6th, 2012 08:00

Yeah, everything is deleted if you use the Respawn to go back to factory, do the backup first :)

No Events found!