Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2011 06:00

M15x screen randomly "blinks"

I got the Alienware in early january 2011 and it seemed to work fine untill 3-4 days ago where when i was browsing the internet (on facebook in this case) the screen would blink for less than a second and go back to normal. It generally occurs whenever i check my notifications etc. IT doesnt seem to happen when im on any other website or when im playing games, only when im on facebook for some weird reason. At first i thought it may be a proble with the graphics card so i updated the drivers for that but the screen still blinked. I was wondering if any of you might know what the problem may be? Thanks

69 Posts

June 4th, 2011 07:00

I wonder if it might be related to the issue I am having here:

en.community.dell.com/.../19381623.aspx

9 Posts

June 4th, 2011 08:00

I don't get any errors or anything it blinks for less than a second and then carries on normally as if nothing happened.

10 Posts

June 4th, 2011 17:00

Which GPU do you have? 260m? And which drivers do you use?

9 Posts

June 5th, 2011 05:00

I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 series and im using the ati drivers

June 13th, 2011 18:00

All:

I have noticed this since the advent of IE9 and the last two versions of the flash player.  IE9 uses hardware graphics acceleration for routine browsing and media playing, and you will notice an uptick in gpu activity and temperature when you watch a flash video.  The flickering occurs for me, though, on websites where I am not watching flash videos but flash videos (commercials) may be playing or trying to load in the background.  Closing these screens always results in a screen blip across how ever many monitors are in front of me.  Completely uninstalling the flash player cures the issue entirely for me, so I think this is an adobe problem, but that is just a guess.

In any event, since it only happens within the confines of a web browser, I doubt it is related to the gpu hardware.

--Hank

69 Posts

June 28th, 2011 04:00

it could be caused by the flash banners/ads ... my M15x BSOD recently when i had lots of browser windows open which had banner ads in them ... before that, the machine was running flawlessly for nearly 2 weeks up time ...

ive since used a host file to block all those annoying banner ads ... no issue yet .. fingers crossed

No Events found!