Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2012 01:00

M15x won't turn on!

For a little while I've been noticing an error at power on telling me I'm not using the correct power supply, but I ignored this as I knew that the message was incorrect.

Last night I realised that the battery wouldn't charge.

Now I can't get it to turn on! The alien head glows as if the battery is charging, but that's all. I've tried the routine that includes holding the powet down for 30 seconds after disconnecting all power, but that didn't help. Any ideas??

10 Posts

October 5th, 2012 02:00

Ooh it's actually charging - LEDs on battery show this - but still no response from Power button.

565 Posts

October 5th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

We can perform few troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue.

1. Remove static power (if any) from the computer.
  2. To remove the static power, disconnect the AC adapter and battery from the back of the computer, then press the power button for 10-15 seconds.
  3. Turn on the computer only with AC adapter connected to the computer.
  4. If it does not turn on, then connect only battery to the computer and check if the computer is turning on.

Do post back the results.

10 Posts

October 5th, 2012 03:00

With AC power, nothing happens.

With battery, the alien head came on and stayed red. Nothing else happened.

565 Posts

October 5th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

It looks like the problem is related to the hardware of the computer.

To check if the computer is in warranty I request you to private message the system service tag number. To private message, accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation.

You can also check warranty status of the computer online by clicking on the link below: http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/TroubleShooting/ProductSelector

For any further questions in future please feel free to contact us.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 5th, 2012 16:00

Xipheas,

Remove the battery from the system. Try to power on with only the AC adapter plugged in.

10 Posts

October 6th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

I tried that, and nothing at all happens. I just tried again, to no avail.

10 Posts

October 6th, 2012 06:00

I also tried resetting the CMOS and tried with each stick of RAM separately, still no change..

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 6th, 2012 13:00

It appears that the AC adapter and power cord might be defective. Contact DELL-Madhur B via private message. Provide to him the service tag number so he can check the warranty status. If not, he can provide to you the part numbers you will need to purchase.

No Events found!