Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2012 20:00

M17X Case Short

Has anybody else ever gotten a shock from their case? I started noticing a jabbing pain in my arm a few weeks ago and thought there was a rough edge but just tonight I realized I get a shock off of any metal exterior part of both halves of the case whenever the adapter is plugged in. Luckily I've got some time left on my warranty.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 4th, 2012 21:00

Yes, others have ... but you will have to search the forums (for their post) if they don't answer you here.

February 4th, 2012 21:00

They're sending me a shipping box to send it back and have it serviced. They said most likely the MB will be replaced.

February 4th, 2012 22:00

Without prejudice

This is because Dell's smart people did not incorporate a bleed resistor ( the more things change the more they stay the same ) this phenomenom has been around for 50 years and only needs a 1 cent part, but "HEY" on  a few million units thats a lot of bucks.. I do have a certificate in electronics. Let Dell prove me wrong  :-)

February 6th, 2012 10:00

Now that I think about it, I've been having problems with the wireless card the last couple of weeks. Device manager says it's working normally but frequently on reboot it can't find or connect to local wireless networks. Could the antenna wire be shorting against the inside of the case? Is the wire even powered?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 6th, 2012 13:00

Any time two parts short-out or touch each other (that aren't suppose to) it will cause various problems ... from slight to severe.

The WiFi antenna in a laptop is usually a normal looking plastic covered wire(s) but the gauge and length is important.

February 14th, 2012 11:00

So apparently it's out for delivery back to me today. Thanks for no notice Dell. And thanks for not updating the service call page with any information whatsoever. I don't know if it will be left on my doorstep or what. It wasn't shipped in such a way as to allow me to request that it be held for pickup.

February 19th, 2012 09:00

So I got the machine back and the shorting problem seems to be fixed. Unfortunately they didn't give me any information about what they did and now the machine won't boot. It stops after post with the message bootmgr is missing press ctrl alt del to reboot.  I suspect they replaced the MB and now the chipset and/or disk drivers are incorrect. The RAID controller shows both disks and the mirror as healthy.

If I set the drive controller to ATA in the bios I can boot to the repair console and get a command prompt. If I let the machine boot in ATA mode I get a blue screen with a 0x7b error followed by parends with hex codes. The second code after the parend is 0xC0000034 which Google tells me is almost certainly a hard drive controller driver error.

So:

1. Since Dell didn't bother to tell me what they did how can I figure out what drivers I need?

2. If I can find the correct driver for Win7 64bit Ultimate, how can I install it from the command prompt of the repair console?

3. If I install the driver on the c:\ drive while the drives are in ATA mode can safely set them back RAID1 afterwards?

Thanks for any help.

No Events found!