Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2012 08:00

M17X R3 GPU OVERHEATING

Laptop recently shut off unexpectedly.  Once I investigated why it appears it was due to overheating.  I rat OCCT and found that the laptop was running at 107c then shutting down.  It appears the fans were not kicking in to control the temps.  I downloaded alien autopsy and ran some GPU tests which also gave me the same high temps and shut the system down mid test.  I restarted the system a few times and the fans appear to be working properly now. 

1.  Does anybody know why the GPU fan would disable? 

2.  How much damage was done to the GPU when running it at 107c and having the system shut down?

I have not overclocked anything nor made changes to anything prior to this happening.  I have downloaded nothing but occ tool (to monitor temps) and games.

i2820

amd 6990m

8gb ram

Any help would be appreciated.

6 Posts

March 28th, 2012 18:00

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. My laptop has recently shut off twice due to overheating and the fans have remained off throughout. After a single reboot they work perfectly for a while and then a few reboots later they stop.

Do you have the official Dell video drivers installed or are you running the AMD drivers? Also have you updated your bios?

Thanks in Advance

61 Posts

May 22nd, 2012 09:00

Exact same set up and problems here.  I spent hours trouble shooting with tech support about this.  They have replaced the graphics card and GPU fan but it does not help.  The problem with the overheating does not happen everysingle time I use the laptop.  Some times the fans don't kick on right away and sometimes they do.  Other times I'm playing a game for 45min with no problems then the system just shuts off after running temps of 105c or higher.  I am extremly concerned that not only is the new GPU compromised for functunality and life span but now other components are as well.  I have notice stutter and lag in video quality when playing fully buffered videos on youtube.  Also if playing multiple videos at once they get choppy and uneven playback.  This could def. be a CPU problem.  Anyways after trouble shooting for quite some time over a couple days I agreed to send it in to dell but am not sure this will solve anything.  

It did appear that this might be related to hibernation mode.  When coming out of hibernation mode the fans don't kick in and then it overheats, I can't be certain of this though its just a casual observation I made one day that it may have happened sometime after the system was in hibernation.  Just a thought.

6 Posts

May 22nd, 2012 11:00

Hi Ian,

I did eventually manage to get my laptop working. After having many different parts of my laptop replaced I discovered it was a program called Aida 64 which I was in fact using to monitor the temperatures. The problem would have been picked up sooner but unfortunately my re-installation of Windows included the program and therefore the problem was not initially identified.

P.S. I did switch temperature monitors and found a few similar programs also caused this problem.

Hope this helps if the problem persists after you get your laptop back.

61 Posts

May 22nd, 2012 12:00

Thanks for the response.  I use speed fan to monitor the temps.  The problem started before I started to monitor temps so, in my case at least, that would potentially rule out temp monitoring software installed after the problem started.  Im actually pretty convinced it is more of a problem with certain features not waking up after a period of inactivity.  I'm not entirley certain how to be sure of this though.  I'll reply back here if I ever get to the bottom of it.  Have a year left on warranty starting in 07/12 so hopefully can get this thing running properly without the fear of bricking it  :) hopefully.

17 Posts

July 5th, 2012 11:00

i have exaclty the same problem i use hwinfo to increase and monitoring the speed and my gpu fan sometimes is not working and if it works will spin with 2400rpm max

61 Posts

July 5th, 2012 12:00

Grandanoke:  After replacing the GPU and fan/heatsink several times they sent the guy out to replace the motherboard a couple weeks ago.  Since then the GPU fan has been kicking on and controlling GPU tems without my constant monitoring.  I am concerned about the effect this has had on the CPU as it may have shortened the CPU's lifespan.  The radiant heat caused by 105-107 degrees celcius would def have an affect on other components under the hood.  I have been using hwinfo and have recorded CPU temps of 90 degrees celcius since the motherboard swap.  I will continue to monitor the CPU temps as it is a bit nervewrecking to have high temps.  

61 Posts

If its under warranty then its under warranty.  As far as changing the motherboard to solve your problem I'm not sure.  I would call tech support and discuss the issue with them to develop the problem fully then take any recommended action they suggest.  Personally as far as the CPU tems go I don't agree with anybody telling me 85 degree celsius is okay temps.  Some might argue that its designed for that but 85 degree celsius is 185 degree fahrenheit...

17 Posts

omg i can t send it back......i live in cyprus a small island....

17 Posts

my cpu max te,p was 85 celcous....is that ok? and i have to change the motherboard?

17 Posts

July 5th, 2012 13:00

i am asking ... if this can cause any damage to motherboard......nad can anyone explain me what is hetasing or thermal paste?

14 Posts

December 6th, 2012 07:00

I've had the same Problem. the root cause was a wrong setting in AIDA64. The whole issue is documented here : forums.aida64.com/index.php

No Events found!