Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2012 14:00

M17X-r3 - Brightness controls not working

Hi all

M17X-r3

The brightness controls (FN +F4/F5) are no longer functioning correctly:  When I press them I get the OSD with Brighter/Dimmer but the bars along the bottom indicating current brightness are empty and there is no affect on screen brightness.  I little research suggests that I need to update the BIOS (currently A08) but when I have gone to the Dell website and selected the download the recommended BIOS (A12) I get an error, and when trying to download with the Dell download manager it says "File not found".

If I am going to go ahead with a BIOS update I would rather get the latest version than install an older one.  The reason I think the BIOS may fix this is the A10 versions states "Change eDP ACPI ID to support updated NV-GTX2 adjust brightness."

FYI: I have just tried installing the latest nVidia drivers but no fix (GTX 560M)

Can I please get a copy of the latest version of the BIOS.

Many thanks

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukdhs1/GetDriver/InitiateSingleFileDownload?fileId=3011582943&driverId=9MJ02&isInstallAvailable=False&isKCSArticleTobeShown=False&categoryId=BI&returnUrl=%2Fsupport%2Fdrivers%2Fuk%2Fen%2Fukdhs1%2FDriverDetails%2FProduct%2Falienware-m17x-r3%3FdriverId%3D9MJ02%26fileId%3D3011582943&isUSDownload=false

53 Posts

November 15th, 2012 15:00

Fixed it!

Upon checking the device manager for the monitor drivers I noticed that they were provided by "TeamViewer", must have been installed when I have used TeamViewer previously.  I simply selected to Rollback the monitor drivers to the Microsoft version and it was instantly fixed.

I'm happy now :)

October 5th, 2012 09:00

Hi! Please send us an e-mail to AWSocialMedia@dell.com and we will review your case. Please remember to add your tag, phone and a brief description of the issue and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 5th, 2012 16:00

SexyFish,

* Go here http://bit.ly/SzQeDv

* Bios 10, 9, 8 all downloaded fine

53 Posts

October 8th, 2012 05:00

Hi Chris.  Thanks for the response.  I've downloaded and flashed v10 but unfortunately the screen brightness controls are still not working.  Any further ideas?

53 Posts

October 8th, 2012 05:00

Just discovered that the updated BIOS has caused my SATA 3 SSD to be downclocked to SATA 2 speeds, therefore I have rolled back to the v8 BIOS (with still no brightness control)

53 Posts

October 17th, 2012 01:00

Any further ideas anyone?

53 Posts

November 15th, 2012 15:00

Reposting as this is really annoying me now :( Anyone got any ideas?

No Events found!