SexyFish
2 Iron

M17X-r3 - Brightness controls not working

Jump to solution

Hi all

M17X-r3

The brightness controls (FN +F4/F5) are no longer functioning correctly:  When I press them I get the OSD with Brighter/Dimmer but the bars along the bottom indicating current brightness are empty and there is no affect on screen brightness.  I little research suggests that I need to update the BIOS (currently A08) but when I have gone to the Dell website and selected the download the recommended BIOS (A12) I get an error, and when trying to download with the Dell download manager it says "File not found".

If I am going to go ahead with a BIOS update I would rather get the latest version than install an older one.  The reason I think the BIOS may fix this is the A10 versions states "Change eDP ACPI ID to support updated NV-GTX2 adjust brightness."

FYI: I have just tried installing the latest nVidia drivers but no fix (GTX 560M)

Can I please get a copy of the latest version of the BIOS.

Many thanks

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukdhs1/GetDriver/InitiateSingleFileDownload?fileId=3011582...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: M17X-r3 - Brightness controls not working

Jump to solution

Hi! Please send us an e-mail to AWSocialMedia@dell.com and we will review your case. Please remember to add your tag, phone and a brief description of the issue and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Alienware-L_Porras
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

SexyFish,

* Go here http://bit.ly/SzQeDv

* Bios 10, 9, 8 all downloaded fine

0 Kudos
SexyFish
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi Chris.  Thanks for the response.  I've downloaded and flashed v10 but unfortunately the screen brightness controls are still not working.  Any further ideas?

0 Kudos
SexyFish
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Just discovered that the updated BIOS has caused my SATA 3 SSD to be downclocked to SATA 2 speeds, therefore I have rolled back to the v8 BIOS (with still no brightness control)

0 Kudos
SexyFish
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Any further ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
SexyFish
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Reposting as this is really annoying me now Smiley Sad Anyone got any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SexyFish
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Fixed it!

Upon checking the device manager for the monitor drivers I noticed that they were provided by "TeamViewer", must have been installed when I have used TeamViewer previously.  I simply selected to Rollback the monitor drivers to the Microsoft version and it was instantly fixed.

I'm happy now Smiley Happy