Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2013 20:00

M17x HDMI Out To TV HDMI In . Is It Possible To Duplicate Screens Thru HDMI ?

M17x HDMI Out To TV HDMI In . Is It Possible To Duplicate Screens Thru HDMI ?

I Am Not Able To Obtain A Signal , Even After "Projecting" And Changing Resolution To "Extend" And/Or "Duplicate" .

Can This Be Done Thru An HDMI Cable OR Does It Have To Be Done with ONLY A VGA Cable ?

1.8K Posts

February 20th, 2013 22:00

Hi DoubleGeeBar,

Alienware M17x has HDMI In and HDMI Out ports. You need to use the HDMI Out port(next to VGA port) to connect an external display and press “Fn+F6” keys to obtain the image on it.

30 Posts

February 24th, 2013 13:00

Thanks for responding Dell-Rajath .

Confirming : I am using the  HDMI Out port(next to VGA port) to connect to an external display .

While holding the Fn key down and tapping F6 , I do see choices of : Computer Only , Duplicate , Extend and Projector Only .

I have tried all these options to no avail .

I am using a brand new 35' HDMI/Eternet Cable . ( HDMI Out of computer to HDMI2 In on Philips 55PFL5907/F7 TV ; I am using the correct HDMI2 Source on TV.)

Still getting no signal , I have tried 3 of 4 HDMI Inputs on TV ( 1 , 2 , 4 )

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate with an added external keyboard . ( I did remove external keyboard in my attempts , as well .)

Philips was not much help and suggested to use a VGA Cable ; I'm pretty sure an HDMI Cable should work .

THANKS for your previous helps and if you have anymore suggestions , please to inform me .

Chuck

1.8K Posts

February 27th, 2013 09:00

Hi DoubleGeeBar,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update about the status. I suggest you to connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI 1 input on the TV and press the “Windows” + “P” keys to change the display.

Please check if the TV is detected in the Graphic application on the laptop and let me know about your findings.

30 Posts

February 28th, 2013 21:00

Hello DELL-Rajath ,

Thanks again for your concern on this issue .

I connected  the HDMI cable to the HDMI 1(ARC) input on the TV and pressed the “Windows” + “P” keys to change the display while having the TV on Source HDMI1 .

The same 4 choices as holding FN and tapping F6 were displayed ; TV still says No Signal when trying to "Duplicate" or "Extend" the laptop screen .

NOTE : when Right Clicking laptop monitor and Clicking NVIDIA Control Panel -- There is only (1) option for a laptop display under GeForce GTX 580M .....

....when clicking on link "My display is not shown" .....then clicking "Rigourous Display Detection" a pop-up says unable to detect .... would you like television connection  enabled ? .....after clicking "Yes"  there is an option to "Force Television Detection" .... BUT even so the Box is checked --- that Box and a "RESTART NOW" Button ARE NOT HIGHLIGHTED and cannot be clicked upon , interactively .

After performing these steps , there is still no signal to HDMI1 .

NOTE : Is my Killer Wireless perhaps a better route for connecting ? ( I would prefer a wired connection. )

THANKS for your previous helps and if you have anymore suggestions , please to inform me .

Chuck

Also to note this is an M17X R3 3D Windows 7 Ultimate .

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 2820QM 2.3GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB       Cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit edit
MEMORY 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (4DIMMS) edit
VIDEO CARD 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M edit
HARD DRIVE 1TB Raid 0 (2x 500GB Hybrid Solid State Drives) edit
LCD PANEL 17.3-inch WideFHD 1920x1080 120Hz WLED w/ NVIDIA 3D       Vision Bundle edit
WIRELESS CARD

Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO for Gaming &       Video

1.8K Posts

March 1st, 2013 01:00

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for your reply and for providing a detailed description about the system. From the details provided, it seems that the cable could be faulty. I suggest you to use a different HDMI cable and check if the display is obtained on the TV.

Please let me know about your findings.

30 Posts

March 18th, 2013 19:00

Hello Dell-Rajath ,

Haven't tried a different HDMI Cable yet . I am thinking of just going with the VGA OUT to RGB( Computer) IN --- This appears to be how the TV manufacturer set up this TV to be conected to a computer .

My next concern would be ..... Is there a Specific Cable for this connection ? ( Obviously it is VGA OUT(Male) of computer , but , the RGB IN looks just like a VGA IN )(Male Also).

Would a regular VGA Cable( Both Male Plugs ) work OR is there a Particular Cable that is VGA OUT(Male) to RGB(Male)(Computer) IN ?

Any insights would be great .

Thanks again , Chuck

1 Message

May 16th, 2015 22:00

Hi,

i just need clearification for HDMI of AW 17 R2, I just bought it 2 weeks ago. and I found one issue when i used an external monitor. My external monitor's solution is 2560*1440, but when i plug it to my AW 17, the resolution can only be set to 1920*1080. and it can be set to 2560*1440 when i change my another laptop.so can anyone tell me why? and how to set to 2560*1440?

PS: i have tried to use customized resolution, but i faild .

1 Message

June 1st, 2015 16:00

i have tried fn+f6 toconnect my dell all in one using hdmi it does not work.this is anew dell 1530

No Events found!