I recently did a clean install of windows 8 on my Alienware M17x R1. All of my drivers are updated after doing some searches within these forums. However, I am still having one issue where my co-processor is not being found.
A picture to help illustrate in my device manager:
I am unsure as to what to do from this point further. If this helps, the hardware ID for this device is:
This is my third try at a Windows 8 upgrade, the other two being upgrades directly from Windows 7 from download. This attempt, I did it via DVD and performed a clean install.
Each time, I have been having issues with my system freezing. Though this latest attempt, the freezes are less frequent and has "only" happened twice in the last 24 hours. I naively believe this to be related to this coprocessor issue since I got my video adapters to be correctly recognized in the device manager.
Any help would be appreciated!
Did you use this list and order as a template?
Google says maybe nVidia chipset?
Have you tried Update Driver from Windows (Windows Update online cache)
I didn't have access to that list thus I didn't download the drivers in order, but I am certain that I have downloaded each of the drivers that pertain to my system from the Dell drivers and downloads according to my service tag. Everything installed except the bluetooth driver was according to my service tag. I downloaded a different bluetooth driver according to a post I saw which recommended a different version, and it works just fine. I have tried right-clicking the coprocessor, selecting update driver software, and it fails to find driver software.
If it helps, below is a snapshot of the downloads that I have made for driver updates:
I put a description in each name surrounded by () for my keeping track of what has been downloaded
Also starting to get this error where my screen temporarily blacks out, and what ever I am doing on my Chrome browser is blacked out until closing and restarting the browser.
I ended up updating my display adapters after getting the warning message above (display driver stopped responding and has recovered).
But I am still having issues with the coprocessor not being identified. I believe it is needing an Nividia nForce driver? Any help would be appreciated. Again the hardware ID for this device is PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AA3&SUBSYS_CB7910DE&REV_B1.
I didn't have access to that list thus I didn't download the drivers in order,
Then I suggest you format it and start over from the beginning.
The chipset drivers must be first. Often, you can't recover from not doing that. The rest of order is important also. All drivers must be compatible with Win8-64 (obviously). Windows Update might give you some better ones.
There shouldn't be anything important on the system yet, but if it's a big deal ... install to second partition (dual boot) as a test.
Hi tommye826 - I've tried at least 6 times on three different M17x (R1!!!) with the same result as you each time.
I dont think there is a way to fix this issue easily, considering these machines come out around the same time microsoft was moving from vista to windows 7 I just dont think the drivers are compatible.
Someone has suggested trying some of the nVidia chipset drivers from the ASUS website as "apparently they are compaible" and ASUS is said to be a lot better a supporting outdated products than Dell is.
I have not been game enough to attempt it (yet)
My installs run with no problems, no BSOD's, no hanging, no issues except a yellow bang in device manager same as you about the co-processor.
I did not run the dell nvidia drivers, I download the latest and ran them
Had this problem with my r1 when upgraded to Windows 8 I solved it by disabling page file. works well now running latest NVidia drivers, something I could never achieve on Windows 7.